RE: Re[2]: RT list: an ad hoc account of translation

From: ernst-august_gutt@sil.org
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 19:42:13 GMT

    Dear Andre,

    Thanks for the two follow-up messages. Here my response.
    1) I don't think capitalisation of Gutt would have made any difference. We
    apparently miscommunicated due to a mismatch of contexts. My work has quite
    often been misinterpreted by some as trying to promote a particular approach
    to doing translation, i.e. direct translation - which is declaredly not the
    aim of my work at all. Your expression "gutt translation" immediately
    triggered this context and that was why I responded as I did: since I do not
    advocate any particular translation approach, the question how such an
    approach would handle certain problems is a non-issue.
    2) Assuming that I have now understood the background of your question more
    adequately, I am still not sure what you are getting at. As far as I am
    aware, the term 'adhoc concept' has been introduced to account for the fact
    that there can be significant differences (through tightening or loosening)
    between the concept occurring in an explicature and the lexical concept by
    which it was triggered. Translation as interpretive use relies on
    interpretive resemblance between utterances which I have proposed to define
    in terms of the sharing of explicatures and implicatures of original and
    translated utterance. Whether the concepts occurring in the explicatures are
    identical to any lexically specified concepts or are adhoc does not seem to
    make any difference to interpretive resemblance, as far as I can see. Also,
    I am not sure of what significance "Lakoff-mapping" is here. But perhaps I
    am missing something.

    With best wishes,
    Ernst-August

    ---