Re[2]: RT list: an ad hoc account of translation

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 21:41:33 GMT

    Dear Ernst-August,
    Had I capitalized Gutt in a "gutt translation", it probably wouldn't have
    triggered the much anticipated response from you (and it's an adjective too).
    Interestingly enough, you seem to have skipped processing my (for what
    it's worth) informative intention, but went straight for the
    communicative/phatic one. Does this prove the supremacy of
    having to recognize one's communicative/phatic intention before deciding
    whether to process the (alleged) informativeness of one's message...
    An addition to the direct access hypothesis?

    Regarding "a Sperber and Wilson way of communicating", well, there
    have been precedents when people used something very closely
    resembling this expression: cf. "a discourse may be "S&W"
    relevant" and "S&W irrelevant" (Wilson 1998a).

    Best wishes,
    Andre

    (It seems about as appropriate to talk about a "gutt way of translating" as it would be to
    talk about "a Sperber and Wilson way of communicating".)