RE: RT list: an ad hoc account of translation

From: ernst-august_gutt@sil.org
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 18:36:26 GMT

    Dear Andre,

    translation: I am in the process of writing a follow-up book to the first
    one. While its main task will be to flesh out in much more detail the
    different cognitive aspects involved in the translation task, it will
    certainly also incorporate the more recent developments in relevance theory,
    such as metarepresentation and also ad hoc concepts.

    Regarding your second point: Let me say very clearly that there is no such
    thing as a "gutt translation". As I tried to make as clear as I could in my
    book, its purpose is not to propose any particular way of translating, but
    to provide an explanatory account of how translation as a particular mode of
    interlingual communication works, what cognitive limitations it is subject
    to, etc. That's why the final chapter of Gutt 1991 is entitled "a unified
    account of translation", meaning to cover the whole range. (It seems about
    as appropriate to talk about a "gutt way of translating" as it would be to
    talk about "a Sperber and Wilson way of communicating".)

    Best wishes,
    Ernst-August Gutt

    ---