Re[4]: RT list: an ad hoc account of translation

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 17:29:17 GMT

    Dear Ernst-August,

    Thank you for your reply!

    In addition to tightening and loosening, construction of ad hoc
    concepts may also include conceptual metaphoric mapping (as
    suggested by Ruiz de Mendoza Ibanez et al. 2001).
    Since Lakoff&Johnson (1980 - unfortunately, being the only title of theirs
    available to me) claim that conceptual metaphoric mapping (ARGUMENT IS
    WAR, TIME IS MONEY etc.) is culture-specific, I was thinking maybe translating "Your are
    wasting my time" into a language of a culture, which is "taking it's
    time" (chilling and following their Tao) and does not perceive it as a "valuable commodity" at all, would
    entail a construction of a set of ad hoc concepts, different from that
    of, for example, English?

    Best wishes,
    Andre

    easo> 2) Assuming that I have now understood the background of your question more
    easo> adequately, I am still not sure what you are getting at. As far as I am
    easo> aware, the term 'adhoc concept' has been introduced to account for the fact
    easo> that there can be significant differences (through tightening or loosening)
    easo> between the concept occurring in an explicature and the lexical concept by
    easo> which it was triggered. Translation as interpretive use relies on
    easo> interpretive resemblance between utterances which I have proposed to define
    easo> in terms of the sharing of explicatures and implicatures of original and
    easo> translated utterance. Whether the concepts occurring in the explicatures are
    easo> identical to any lexically specified concepts or are adhoc does not seem to
    easo> make any difference to interpretive resemblance, as far as I can see. Also,
    easo> I am not sure of what significance "Lakoff-mapping" is here. But perhaps I
    easo> am missing something.

    easo> With best wishes,
    easo> Ernst-August