RT list: Puzzle

From: Frankie Roberto (frankie.roberto@ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 21:03:44 GMT

    Hi all,

    I'm a linguistics undergrad at UCL. I've been thinking recently about the
    following puzzle, and would be interested to see other linguists' views on
    it. The puzzle goes something like this:

    "A boy and his father are walking along a path on the top of a cliff on a
    windy day. A loose stone causes them to loose their grip and they both
    tumble over the edge of the cliff. An ambulance soon arrives on the scene to
    examine the bodies. They conclude that the father is dead, but that the boy
    might still survive. The boy is rushed to hospital and into an operating
    theatre where a surgeon is waiting. Just before the operation is about to
    start, the surgeon looks at the boy and announces 'I cannot operate on this
    boy, he's my son!'"

    How can this be?

    (think about this and then scroll down to see the answer)

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Answer: The surgeon is the boy's mother!

    This is a fairly well known puzzle, and most people who are told it for the
    first time can't work out the answer. My question is, how does it work? I
    present three hypotheses:

    Hypothesis 1: We hold in our heads the stereotypical (you might say
    'sexist') idea that surgeons are mostly men. This idea is so steeped in our
    minds that we cannot imagine the surgeon being female.

    Hypothesis 2: When we read the story, as soon as we come across the surgeon
    character, we assign this some mental representation in our minds. All
    singular human characters MUST have a gender as the minimum characteristic.
    Based on our (stereotypical) knowledge of surgeons, we quickly assign the
    male gender to the mental character. We are given no reason to doubt this
    guess until we come to the final statement, at which point our deduction
    system isn't strong enough to shake off our previously-held assertion.

    Hypothesis 3: The answer might be partly due to stereotypical notions of
    surgeons, but we are also led astray by the wording of the question. In
    particular, the final utterance includes three male-gendered words: 'boy,
    'he' and 'son'. This use of the male gender requires us to access concepts
    of maleness in our minds which consequently spill over into our mental image
    of the surgeon.

    The three hypotheses carry quite different implications! It may be possible
    to test them using these tests:

    Test 1: Reverse the puzzle, using a stereotypically female occupation (eg
    nurse) and having the mother die.

    Test 2: Do some experimental work using some more neutral characters to see
    if people automatically assign tentative genders to mental characters.

    Test 3: Change the puzzle by having a girl walking along the cliff with her
    father so that the final line is 'I cannot operate on this girl, she's my
    daughter'.

    Comments/ideas welcome (either direct to me or shared with the list)!

    Cheers,

    Frankie Roberto,
    frankie.roberto@ucl.ac.uk