Re: RT list: Puzzle

From: Guy Politzer (politzer@univ-paris8.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 02:34:49 GMT

    With reference to Frankie Roberto's puzzle, there is a shorter form
    of the puzzle which is as follows :
    A child is told : "You are my son, but I am not your father". Who is
    the speaker ?
    This simple form is as efficacious as the long one, which rules out
    the hypotheses based on stereotypes.
    It turns out that this puzzle has already been studied experimentally
    ( its study goes back at least to Noordman, 1979 ). Some time ago, I
    have offered an elementary explanation of it within relevance theory
    in terms of a pragmatically based presupposition.
    The presupposition is that the speaker is a man, which results from
    the lack of relevance of "I am not your father" if this were uttered
    by a woman, for this utterance would not enable the hearer to draw
    contextual implications besides the obvious fact that a woman cannot
    be a father. ( In a non oral communication where there is no visual
    or auditory indication of gender, "the speaker is a man" would come
    as a scalar implicature obtained from scale reversal under negation
    ). Now the reasoner is in an impasse in his/her search for a
    solution, as the speaker is a parent, is not the father and yet is a
    man.
    Is there a way to get out of the impasse ? Just build a context such
    that "I am not your father" achieves relevance even if it is uttered
    by a female character. This can occur, for instance, if it is known
    to both the hearer and the speaker that only the father is entitled
    to/endowed with some special privilege/power, etc. This prediction
    was tested and satisfied, as it resulted in a significant decrease in
    the rate of failure to solve the riddle.