Re: metaphor and effort

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 05:30:39 GMT

    R Cartson writes: (as "Speranglished" by yours truly, with apologies):
    The Problem of SPED (Significant Processing Effort Difference): what Does RT
    Predict? an apparent clash.

    "I. Noveck & al's claim is that a metaphorical utterance takes *more
    processing effort* & has more cognitive effects than a non-figurative
    equivalent'. Building on Gibbs they run some experiments to test the claim
    to find the results support it. They see this is

     precisely what the RT account of
     metaphor predicts.

    "Gibbs also takes the *extra processing effort* prediction to follow from
    RT. But, unlike Noveck et al, finds it to be *at fault* with his
    experimental results:

     psychological research shows that addressees
     do not devote an extra processing resource to
     understanding a metaphor as compared with
     a nonmetaphoric utterance. The RT's "metaphor
     -as-loose-talk" view may *not* see metaphor as
     a violation of communication norms

    (A la good ol' H P Grice. "Logic & Conversation", in Studies in the Way of
    Words, p.34. JLS)

     but still incorrectly assumes that metaphor & other
     tropes demand an extra cognitive effort. It is this
     psychological evidence that Noveck & al. are calling into question.

    An opposite prediction:

    "The opposite view, however, of what RT *predicts* about metaphor processing
    is to be found. In _Poetic Effects: A RT perspective_ Pilkington discusses
    Gibbs's and Gerrig's psycholinguistic exeriments which, Pilkington claims,
    show that

     an utterance used metaphorically does NOT
     necessarily take longer to process than the same
     utterances used literally.

    [Excursus:

     Well, I guess it also has to do, inter alia, with
     whether English is your first language or not, or
     how language-aware you are. A friend of mine lives in
     Boston, USA, but English is not his first language,
     and he came to learn

      red herring

     (before learning what a "herring" was) as meaning
     "a distraction from the topic" rather than "a special
     kind of fish red-smoked as used in mediaeval times
     by the peasants to divert the lord's dogs from the
     trail of the game the peasants lived on". JLS]

    According to Pilkington 'the RT account of metaphor interpretation is quite
    consistent with these psycholinguistic results'.

    The Puzzle.
    "So what's going on here? On the face of it, it looks as if someone has to
    be wrong about what the RT prediction is. Before I check back on what the
    founding parents

    (and the granddad? H Paul Grice. Please do! JLS)

    "have to say, note that talk of extra processing effort raises the question of

     more than what?

    The Distinction: TRUTH-CONDITION vs. IMPLICATURE.
    "What is the metaphorical utterance being compared with? I think there are 2
    different comparisons at work, and this may be the source of the apparently
    contradictory positions. Sperber/Wilson discussing such highly conventional
    metaphors as

     1. Robyn is a lion(ess).

    which communicates the strong implicature that

     2. Robyn is a brave (lad, lass).

    say that such a metaphor

     must suggest some extra line of thought
     if their indirectness and its extra processing
     cost is to be justified

    and, of course, this holds all the more for more creative metaphors, such as

     3. Robyn is a pink pantheress.

    The processing effort comparison here is between uttering (1) and uttering
    (2), or, if you like, between

     4. You are a grice.
     5. You are a grubby lad!

    (OED. grice: a piglet. Also used metaphorically to refer to a "grubby, dirty
    lad" - A "lad" is what ever overmetaphorical Americans would call a "kid",
    i.e. the offspring of a goat. :)). It is this sort of comparison that Noveck
    et al. have in mind.

    Sperber's proposal of a solution: THE PROBLEM QUESTION MAKES NO SENSE (SPED
    = 0), or rather, both metaphor and non-metaphor may involve the same
    processing effort. It's a context-sensitive thing.

    Consider now an example in Sperber:

     6. Robyn is a territorial.

    "In a particular context C1 the addressee might access an interpretation
    along the lines that

     7. Robyn is a very dutiful
                 b loyal
                 c obedient
                 d a team-player
                e self-sacrificing

    but not including that

     8. Robyn a is a member of the military
              b is trained to kill
             c has weapons

    "This would be a case of a "loose" or metaphorical use of "territorial", or
    'soldier'. In a different context C2, however, the LITERAL
    (truth-conditional) properties of being a member of the military, being
    trained to kill, etc. might be accessed instead. For Sperber, in BOTH cases
    the addressee follows a path of

     least effort

    in accessing the interpretation and stops when the expectation of maximal
    relevance is satisfied. There doesn't seem to be a prediction that

     there will be any significant processing effort
     difference (SPED) between the loose/metaphorical
     use in C1 and the literal (truth-conditional) use
     in C2.

    It's clear that in a some arbitrary context Cn the loose/metaphorical
    reading may be actually

     easier to access

    than the truth conditional one."

    [My example of "red herring" above. Actually, few native speakers know why a
    red-herring is called a red herring. I had to search in the OED2 myself and
    I'm not native, hey!]

    "I think these are the sorts of comparison that Pilkington (and Gerrig) are
    making, and they are quite opposite to those by Gibbs and Noveck."

    A WAY OUT?
    "So is that it? Problem solved? Probably not!

    One assumes that not only cases such as (6) (Robyn is a soldier), but also
    cases like one (4) - "you're a grice" - have been tested and have given a
    result of no "SPED" (a word of confirmation from Gibbs and or Glucksberg
    would be welcome!)."

    [also, perhaps, to recall Grice PERE. Principle of Economy of Rational
    Effort. In R. Grandy & R. Warner, PGRICE, Philosophical Grounds of
    Rationality, Intentions, Categories, Ends (p.83) to which Wilson & Sperber
    contributed. Grice thinks that implicit ratiocination is just as valid as
    the explicit variety). Grice writes:

     Where there is a ratiocinative procedure for
     arriving rationally at a certain outcome, a
     procedure which, because it is ratiocinative,
     involves an expenditure of time & energy, then,
     if there is a NON-ratiocinative & so more economical
     procedure which is likely, FOR THE MOST PART,
     to reach the same outcome as the ratiocinative
     procedure, then, provided the stakes ARE NOT TOO
     HIGH, it will be rational to employ the
     CHEAPER tho' somewhat LESS RELIABLE
     NON-RATIOCINATIVE proceudre as a substitute
     for ratiocination" (op. cit. p.83).

    RC: "If so, i.e. if no SPED is observed, this would still seem to be at odds
    with the RT account, unless, of course, the measures (reading times &c) used
    in the experiment simply can not tap the sort of effort differences at issue?"

    A Further Pragmatic Compliction: REFERRING vs. PREDICATING.

    "Furthermore, there seems to be a striking difference in the psychological
    processing of a metaphorical predication and a metaphorical referential
    expression. Whereas the predication (which all the examples so far discussed
    are) may take no more effort than literal paraphrases

         SPED = 0

    a case of metaphorical reference, such as when I say of my cat (9) or my
    bedroom (10)

    9. The princess is sleeping on a rug!

    10. This junkyard my mother shouldn't see.

    does take LONGER than literal reference, i.e.

        SPED > 0

    "This is pointed out by Gibbs & Onishi/Murphy who ease the way for a
    metaphorical reference but had yet to admit that there just *IS* a heavier
    processing load for a metaphorical refererntial expression than for a
    corresponding literal one, such as:

    11. My cat is sleeping on a rug

    (but is it really "mine"?)

    and

    12. This mess of a room my mum should not see.

    (but is this really "a mess of a something", or is it just a "messy"
    something).

    "Of course, there are plenty of possible explanations for this
    "referring/predicating" difference, some of which are discussed by Gibbs and
    O&M."

    (And another may be JR Searle's DPhil Oxon under PF Strawson, "Reference &
    Predication". Strawson and Grice having worked for years on the
    philosophical issues involved therein. JLS).

    A Possible Partial Solution-cum-explanation.
    "Now, the Noveck et al. experiments in which a metaphorical/literal
    processing difference (SPED) *was* found were all cases of REFERRING. Their
    results do reinforce Gibbs and O&M's claim (that SPED > 1), but they could
    be subject to an explanation for the extra effort

     in terms of special properties
     of reference

    that make metaphor (or non-truth conditional utterances at large) more
    difficult when used in this way (i.e. when used to perform the pragmatics of
    "referring" rather than of "predicating"). It might be of greater interest
    for specification of the RT prediction about non-truth-conditional
    utterances if an experiment is made such that it reveals a SPED > 1 when the
    non-truth conditional component is used in

     predicating

    a property of an already truth-conditionally determined referent. I hope
    these are planned! If not, should we accept it's all just
    contextual-dependent after all and that that is the ultimate solution and
    explanation?

    Refs:
    GERRIG R Empirical constraints on computational theories of metaphor.
             Cognitive Science 13
    GIBBS R Comprehending figurative referential descriptions.
             J Exp Psych 16
    GIBBS R The Poetics of Mind. Cambridge.
    NOVECK I, M BIANCO & A CASTRY Costs/benefits of metaphor.
            Metaphor & Symbol 16
    ONISHI K. & G MURPHY
            Metaphoric reference:
            when metaphors are not understood as easily
            as literal expressions.
            Memory & Cognition 21
    PILKINGTON A Poetic effects: a relevance theory perspective. Benjamins
    SPERBER D Metarepresentations in an evolutionary perspective. In
    Metarepresentations: a multidisciplinary perspective, Oxford
    SPERBER D. & D Wilson Loose talk. Aristotelian Society 86
    ======