trying again

From: robyn carston (robyn@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 18:20:17 GMT

    Sorry, folks, my message earlier today
    came out messy and hard to read (it didn't
    look like that on my screen when I wrote
    it). I hope this attempt is less rough
    on the eye. Best, Robyn
    ----------------------
    Dear all

    The following thoughts were prompted (or reactivated) by reading the recent
    interesting paper by Ira Noveck, Maryse Bianco and Alain Castry describing
    some experimental work on metaphor processing (the paper was publicised on
    this list). I was going to address the authors specifically but then
    thought the issue might be of wider interest to people involved in
    relevance theory. However, be warned that this is not a short message, but
    more like a short essay. I would very much appreciate corrections/comments
    if anyone makes it through to the end.

    Ira Noveck et al.'s basic position is that metaphorical utterances take
    more processing effort and have more cognitive effects than 'non-figurative
    equivalents'. Building on some work by Ray Gibbs (1990), they ran some
    experiments to test this hypothesis and found that the results supported
    it. Their claim is that this is precisely what the relevance-theoretic
    account of metaphor predicts.

    Gibbs (1994) also takes the 'extra processing effort' prediction to follow
    from RT and finds it to be at fault on these very grounds: '... the
    psychological research clearly shows that listeners do not ordinarily
    devote extra processing resources to understanding metaphors compared with
    more literal utterances. The metaphor-as-loose-talk view, ... may not see
    metaphors as violations of communication norms but still incorrectly
    assumes that metaphors, and other tropes ... obligatorily demand
    additional cognitive effort to be understood' (p.232). It is this
    psychological evidence that Noveck et al. are calling into question.

    However, the opposite view of what RT predicts about metaphor processing is
    also to be found, espoused by another staunch relevance theorist. In his
    excellent book on relevance and poetic effects, Pilkington (2000) discusses
    psycholinguistic work by Gibbs and by Gerrig (1989) which seems to show
    that 'utterances used metaphorically do not necessarily take longer to
    process than the same utterances used literally' (p.89). According to
    Pilkington 'the relevance theory account of metaphor interpretation is
    quite consistent with [these] psycholinguistic results' (p.90).

    So what's going on here? On the face of it, it looks as if someone has to
    be wrong about what the RT prediction is. Before I check back on what the
    founding father and mother have to say, note that talk of extra or more
    processing effort raises the question of 'more than what?'. What is the
    metaphorical utterance being compared with? I think there are two
    different comparisons at work and that this may be the source of the
    apparently contradictory positions.

    Sperber & Wilson (1985/86), discussing such highly conventional metaphors
    as 'Jeremy is a lion', which communicates the strong implicature that
    Jeremy is brave, say that such metaphors 'must suggest some further line of
    thought if their relative indirectness and its extra processing cost is to
    be justified ...' (p.167) and, of course, this point holds all the more for
    more creative metaphors. The processing effort comparison here is between
    uttering 'Jeremy is a lion' and uttering 'Jeremy is brave', or between 'You
    are a piglet' and 'You are a grubby kid'. It is this sort of comparison
    that Noveck et al. have in mind.

    However, consider now an example in Sperber (2000, p.132): 'John is a
    soldier'. In a particular context (A), a hearer might access an
    interpretation along the lines that John is very dutiful, loyal, obedient,
    a team-player, self-sacrificing, but not including that John is a member of
    the military, has weapons, etc. This would be a case of a loose or
    metaphorical use of 'soldier'. In a different context (B), the 'literal'
    properties of being a member of the military, being trained to kill, etc.
    might be accessed instead. In both cases, as ever, the hearer follows a
    path of least effort in accessing the interpretation and stops when his
    expectation of relevance is satisfied. The issue of different degrees of
    processing effort is not Sperber's concern here, so is not discussed, but
    it seems clear that there is no prediction that there will be any
    significant processing effort difference between the loose/metaphorical use
    in context A and the literal use in context B. It also seems pretty clear
    that in certain contexts the loose/metaphorical reading is going to be
    easier to access than the literal one. I think these are the sorts of
    comparison that Gerrig and Pilkington are making, and they are quite
    different from that discussed in the previous paragraph.

    So is that it? - problem solved? Probably not entirely. I'm not deeply
    enough steeped in the full weighty mass of psycholinguistic experiments in
    this area to be sure of my ground here, but I assume that not only cases
    such as the 'soldier' one, but also cases like the 'piglet/dirty kid' one
    have been tested and have given a result of no significant difference in
    processing effort/time (a word of confirmation from Ray Gibbs and/or Sam
    Glucksberg would be most welcome at this point). If so, this would still
    seem to be at odds with the RT account, unless, of course, the measures
    (reading times, etc) used in the experiments simply cannot tap the sort of
    effort differences at issue.

    Furthermore, there seems to be a striking difference in the psycho results
    that I'm aware of between metaphorical predications and metaphorical
    referring expressions. While the predications (which all the examples so
    far discussed are) apparently take no more effort than literal paraphrases,
    metaphorical reference (e.g. 'The princess' used to refer to a cat, 'That
    junkyard' used to refer to someone's office) does take significantly longer
    than literal reference. This was pointed out by Gibbs himself (1990) and
    reinforced by Onishi & Murphy (1993), who tried everything they could to
    ease the way for metaphorical references, but had to conclude that there
    just is a heavier processing load for metaphorical referring expressions
    than for corresponding literal ones. Of course, there are plenty of
    possible explanations for this reference/predication difference, some of
    which are discussed by Gibbs and O&M. Now, Noveck et al.'s experiments in
    which a metaphorical/literal processing difference was found were all cases
    of referring expressions. So their results further reinforce those of
    Gibbs and O&M, but they could therefore be subject to an explanation for
    the extra effort in terms of special properties of reference that make
    metaphor difficult when used in this way. It might be of greater interest
    for the RT prediction about 'piglet/dirty kid', etc. if there were
    experiments which revealed effort differences when these are used in
    predicating properties of an already determined referent. I wonder if
    these are planned ...

    Best wishes, Robyn