RT, Modified Occam's Razor, and Disambiguation

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 00:26:37 GMT

    A naive question from a naive philosopher of language.

    RT considers that disambiguation is one of the 3 ways (along with reference
    assignment and semantic enrichment) of pragmatic intrusion or penetration in
    the constitution of an "explicature". Now, for Grice, disambiguation, it
    seems, concerns really ambiguous (or polysemous) words, such as "vice", and
    "row", i.e. words which derive from non-cognate roots. I.e., not his
    favoured type of monoguous words that respected his modified Occam's razor
    ("do not multiply senses beyond necessity").

    Now, what about expressions of the type of

    1. old books and maps.

    as meaning either

    2. old (books and maps).

    or

    3. (old books) and maps.

    It seems we can loosely speak of syntactic "disambiguation" here in terms of
    scope (and thus leading to the constitution of an "explicature") but surely
    no strict lexical or semantic "polysemy" is involved, and thus, I'm not sure
    if the phenomenon involves a case of standard Gricean implicature or even a
    RT "explicature".

    Myself, I'm happy, with Grice, in dealing with ambiguity (as in his maxim,
    "avoid ambiguity"), as involving, primarily, polysemy only rather than this
    kind of "alternate syntactic parsings" (Although his discussion of "avoid
    ambiguity" involve the syntactic ambiguity of a poem by Wm Blake, which does
    not really concern different "senses". Is the notion of truth-condition
    general enough to deal with all this. Provided my hasty notes, may sense -
    any comment?

    Thanks for any leads,

    JL
    (Mr)