Re: RT, Modified Occam's Razor, and Disambiguation

From: Christoph Unger (ChristophU@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 15:10:22 GMT

    on 23.02.2001 1:26 Uhr, J L Speranza at jls@netverk.com.ar wrote:

    > A naive question from a naive philosopher of language.

    And a naïve response from a naïve pragmaticist/linguist:

    > It seems we can loosely speak of syntactic "disambiguation" here in terms of
    > scope (and thus leading to the constitution of an "explicature") but surely
    > no strict lexical or semantic "polysemy" is involved, and thus, I'm not sure
    > if the phenomenon involves a case of standard Gricean implicature or even a
    > RT "explicature".

    Why should scope ambiguities be different from lexical ambiguities as far as
    pragmatic interpretation is concerned? I don't see the point: both phenomena
    impact the proposition conveyed by an utterance, i.e. it's explicature, and
    both have to be disambiguated pragmatically (although in your example 'old
    books and maps' this process can be helped in oral communication by the use
    of intonation/pause).

    Christoph

    Christoph Unger
    Mozartstr. 26