Re: RT list: Degrees of inference?

From: Ronnie Sim <ronnie_sim@sil.org>
Date: Tue Dec 03 2013 - 12:34:56 GMT

Hi again,
I've been away from home over the weekend, including Friday-Monday, and
only this morning starting to look at emails again.

Ernst-August's response is helpful.
I understand Ian Mac's original communication to frame the question
within a single culture/society, especially when he says "...
Yoshikawa(1978) ... saying "the basic principle of communication in
Japan, the fact that what is verbally expressed and what is actually
intended are two different things, is something that Japanese people are
supposed to be aware of."
My response also was intended to be read within the same framework --
insiders making claims about communication in their own society.

As soon as we speak about this, from outside such societies, we risk
either making judgements as outsiders, or being read to be making these.
So, I can see how our emails on this topic could make the boundary
fuzzy. But I think we were both, Ian and I, trying to consider
remarks/claims made by insiders about their own society, and begin
thinking about how they might be handled within an RT framework. At this
point, we were also, I think, talking informally. I was certainly hoping
to attract comment from those working closely with the academic inside
of RT.

So, I think neither of us [Ian or I] was making cross-cultural
judgements of other societies; both were seeking to operate within the
framework clarified above. I hope that rules out the risk Ernst-August
deals with in his first point.

Ernst-August's second point is the interesting one. The reminder that
optimal relevance includes the qualification "the communicator's
preferences" (Sperber, D., and D. Wilson. 1995:270), is indeed key. If I
interpret Ian's initial interest again, then I think he is asking for
discussion about cultures/societies/sub-societal groups in which this
factor of */communicator preferences/* varies.

E.-A.'s comment is a good one, that "information is a very valuable, and
potentially also risky, commodity" and that this may form an underlying
cultural assumption in some society. It is certainly a familiar
interpretation of [some of those few] societies in Africa that I am
familiar with, viz., that /*information is a commodity*/. Having
information gives its possessor some degree of power and influence;
lacking it leaves one without the 'power' the information grants. In
Africa, it is familiar to hear this interpreted as affecting
communication; speaker's preferences constrain the flow of information
they provide. Many westerners have understood this to be frustrating
[but that is also subject to a mis-match in cross-cultural
expectations]. So, yes, I'm with E.-A. on this example. This preference
at work in communication would likely affect the sharing of information.
Here, I think Ian's starting comments were about whether anyone had
looked into this in a piece of research. HAS anyone? Agnieszka
Psiskorska mentioned Helga Schroeder's article as a potential example,
which I haven't read yet.

To the cultural assumption that /information has commodity value/, can
we postulate others? I am going to try to offer a couple ... whether
they end up providing explanation will come out sometime!

a. The assumption that communication will be conducted with
/*politeness*/ may be a normal, one might hope, universal assumption
unless grievance is being addressed in an irritated way. But, it does
appear that the role that an assumption of politeness plays differs in
different societies. One does hear those of other societies commenting
on the more or less politness expected of communication, and how any
instance may partly fail, or eminently meet expectations of politeness.
Across cultures, it does appear that British and American
communication--perhaps some European communities also-- places a higher
value on directness than on politeness. Both within a society and across
societies, assumptions of appropriate politeness vary, and affect
speaker preferences in the form of an utterance. E.-A. can sharpen this
up perhaps.

b. In many societies it seems to be generally accepted that /*preserving
Face*/ is of high importance, and that in communication, speaker's take
great care to express themselves in ways that do not create a Face
challenge. I'd like to suggest that this is not simply subsumed by an
assumption of politeness by by some other/stronger assumption about the
responsibility to maintain inter-personal relationships in
communication. This might also result in speaking being much more
oblique by speaker preference ... it could be simpler, more overt, but
the Face assumption places responsibilities on speakers to be indirect,
and hearers to handle the indirect with enhanced inferencing.

c. For the sake of exploring this, I would probably also wonder whether
the speaker's assumption of the /*truthfulness*/ of her / his utterance
is subject to speaker preferences that are societally variable. Loose
talk approximations are one area where I suggest it might be seen. I'll
fall into the western trap here ... "How long will it take to get to X?"
might generate a response "Not too long". And it might be doing so out
of a compromise between different assumptions -- that a response should
be as relevant as possible, that a response should affirm the
questioner's hopes, and that the variables make it difficult to give a
time.

All of these apparently vary contextually within "our own society",
whichever society that is, and perhaps start to provide some response to
Ian Mac's original question. It does seem that communicator preferences,
and that these preferences driven by different underlying cultural
assumptions, do affect the cost-benefit balance in some ways.

A final comment, and Ian will be a better position than I am to respond.
My understanding of English literature/literary criticism is that
literary authors do set about making varying demands on their readers.
C.S. Lewis made some comment about "how we should read" a work [can't
remember where, right now], and the shift in literary criticism toward
reader response understanding of a text, often with an openness of
interpretation, seems to underscore the need to look at responsibilities
of readers.

Ronnie