RE: RT list: Degrees of inference?

From: <ernst-august_gutt@sil.org>
Date: Thu Nov 28 2013 - 16:40:18 GMT

Hi,

This discussion is interesting but I think Ronnie Sims' observation that
somehow "it doesn't hit the spot" is very pertinent here. It seems that too
little attention is paid to a couple of important points of RT. .

1) Optimal relevance is not universally defined, but always context
dependent - which means, in effect, dependent on the mutual cognitive
environment of the communication partners. The point from which this
discussion started, however, seem to be cross-cultural judgments: in this
case, scholars from one culture comparing the processing effort, esp. that
incurred by inference, in acts of communication in another culture. This
means, however, comparing two most likely non-commensurate things if the
cognitive environments of both acts of communication are not the same, which
in these cases they hardly will be. So what seems to be happening in these
evaluations is something like the following: one is trying to compare the
processing cost [e.g. steps of inference] that would one would have to spend
in one's own cognitive environment to obtain an utterance considered
satisfactory in one's own cognitive environment with the effort it takes one
to process, in one's own cognitive environment, the utterance actually
offered in quite a different cognitive environment. For example, a Western
person considers the processing cost he/she would need to invest in
processing the utterance of an East-African person to obtain the information
a Western person would expect to be told, and comes to the conclusion that
this information is either only very weakly implied or requires a lot of
inferencing, which could have been avoided by a more direct answer, of the
kind expected in a Western cognitive environment. From an RT point of view,
this does not make sense. Optimal relevance, with both processing cost and
cognitive effects involved, have to evaluated relative to the cognitive
environment in which they take place.

2) Also, the 1995 version of optimal relevance includes a very significant
modification in its second part, bringing in the preferences of the
communicator: "b) The ostensive stimulus is the most relevant compatible
with the communicator's abilities and preferences" (Sperber, D., and D.
Wilson. 1995:270). This means, among other things, that the communicative
POR does not oblige the communicator to supply, without unnecessary
processing effort, the information the addressees might like to get but a)
only information that is in line with the abilities of the communicator -
e.g. the communicator can't supply info she does not have or can only come
up with as good a stimulus as her particular skills allow - and b)
information that the communicator is prepared to supply (preferences).

This has far-reaching implications for the topic under discussion here.
Suppose the mutual cognitive environment of a group contains the belief that
information is a very valuable, and potentially also risky, commodity: one
never knows what others might do with that information. When a person with
that cognitive environment is asked by a stranger how far it is to a certain
place or where such and such a person lives, then that person would, if
indeed he felt he had to answer, tend to keep the information quite vague:
"Oh, it's over there, quite far" - even if he was in a position to give a
much clearer answer. While the vagueness of the answer probably would not
surprise a person sharing a similar cognitive environment - it's only what
any stranger could expect to be told - an outsider to the culture might
conclude that either these people don't know how to be precise - how to
formulate an optimal stimulus - or that they expected the addressee to work
hard to figure out from that answer where they'd have to go. In the latter
case, in the spirit of the discussion going on here, one might conclude that
this is a culture that generally demands higher processing efforts from the
audience than some other cultures. Similarly with business negotations,
perhaps in an Asian context: if it is customary to reveal only as little of
one's own interests to the other party as possible in order to get the best
deal for oneself and to keep open as many options as possible, then, again,
one will naturally tend to be rather vague, saying only as much as one feels
one has to say to remain polite and to keep things moving. The other party,
if they share the same cognitive environment, will interpret the answers
given along these lines - probably also trying to figure out what the first
party is trying to hide. Such interaction obviously involves a lot of mental
work. This would not be needed in another group with less sophisticated
conventions where one is quite ready to reveal information.

The important point is that, in all these cases, people are actually guided
by the communicative POR (adequate cogn. effects with minimal processing
effort) - keeping in mind the preferences of the communicator, and the
mutual cognitive environment in which the communication takes place. To take
the observable difference in processing cost as evidence for cultural
parameters that somehow - arbitrarily? - determine a sort of "default level"
of processing effort or inference for that group that is e.g. higher than
the "default level" of some other group would be missing the point entirely.
It would be much more useful to study the "contents" of the cognitive
environment concerned and find out what cultural assumptions there are in
that cognitive environment that would make the information and the stimulus
used to convey it optimally relevant. That would actually help outsiders to
better understand those communications - and the culture in which they take
place.

Personally I believe there is no reason to assume that there are groups that
set "minimal processing cost" as such at a higher level than perhaps some
other groups, or put more "responsibility" on the audience than other groups
do. I would expect that in all and every case it will turn out that such
differences arise not from culturally set default values for these two
parameters but are natural consequences of beliefs and values of the
cognitive environments concerned - whether this concerns just two
individuals or large cultural or ethnic groups. (So this should actually be
a testable hypothesis.)

Well, this is my two cents' worth.
Ernst-August Gutt

  _____