RT list: "negative cognitive effect"?

From: Jose Luis Guijarro Morales <joseluis.guijarro@uca.es>
Date: Tue Dec 03 2013 - 10:31:56 GMT

¡Hola, buenas!

I must be losing the scant knowledge of English I believe I used to master when I was an active professional, but read it as I may, I am unable to understand what Dan is trying to point to with his distinction about positive and negative cognitive effects. Let me give you an illustrative example of my misgivings.

Suppose my twelve year old son (I don't have one! This is "fiction") has broken a wonderful Sèvres vase I had in the mantelpiece (It's still "fiction", mind you!). When I come in and see the disaster I go mad at him. But he says coolly:

"I was in school"

The message he intends to convey is of course that he claims he could not have done it.
And the message I am able to recover is precisely that he claims he cannot be blamed for it, since he was not at home, for he was in class, bla, bla, bla, etc.

Now, suppose that what he says is not true. That, today, the teacher was ill, and the students were given permission to leave the school two hours before the normal time. I don't have this information, so I swallow the lie with no problem.

I have not acquired a new knowledge, as Dan says, since I have been misled.

But I have been able to find the relevance of my son's answer, have therefore drawn some cognitive effects (false, but ... oh well!), so that the whole process of my understanding his message is, from my point of view, perfect.

On the other hand, if I happen to know he his indeed lying, I will still interpret his answer as an excuse, will I not? The fact that I will accept it or not, has nothing to do, as far as I can see, with my interpretation of the exchange according to the principle of relevance

What I don't understand, then, is how (I BELIEVE Dan is saying) the "content" of some representation or other will make it a negative cognitive effect which then would prevent the relevance device to act accurately and I would somehow not be able to interpret my son's excuse.

I am sure I've got it all wrong, but where did I begin to go astray (i.e., where did I get negative cognitive effects from Dan's text)?

¡Hast'adiós!

José Luis Guijarro
Profesor Emérito
Universidad de Cádiz