RE: RT list: "negative cognitive effect"?

From: Jose Luis Guijarro Morales <joseluis.guijarro@uca.es>
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 12:59:43 GMT

Hi, Ernst!

I think I totally agree with you, except on this paragraph:

"If I see things correctly, Dan's point is not that you haven't been able to interpret your son's excuse, but that since the derived interpretation is not true of the actual state of affairs, it is not actually "beneficial" from an "objective" point of view: the communication has not led to an improvement of your knowledge of the world. Hence you have "wasted" your effort".

I don't think that I have wasted my effort not improving my knowledge of the World. As I see it, on the contrary, I have, since my son's response was intended to be an excuse and I have interpreted just that. So the World has ANOTHER EXCUSE in it that didn't exist before he spoke, and I have managed to KNOW (i.e., be aware of) it.

If I would (rightly or wrongly) believe he was not in school, but was busy at home breaking my vase is another problem. From my point of view, this has little to do with THE PROCESS of communicating this type of excuse. It has to do with my LACK OF TRUST in my son's mischievous behaviour, and so I may ignore it and go on scolding him.

Of course, in the rest of your message you seem to be on the same line as I am. (So, I am still wondering what Dan tried to mean the other day).

Thanks for the answer!

José Luis Guijarro
Profesor Emérito
Universidad de Cádiz