My outside interests page.
This page is meant to be for those aspects of my life that do not relate to my professional career. So welcome again, visitors to this site. John Wells
- Running. I usually run four times a week, not very fast but quite a long way (15-30 miles / 25-50 km a week -- photo). I'm a member of a local running club, the Wimbledon Windmilers, but not, I'm sorry to say, of the UCL cross-country club. Two or three times a year I do a half-marathon (13 miles/21 km), and even the occasional full marathon. In April 1999 I completed the London Marathon again.
- Esperanto activities. My stint as President of UEA has now expired, though I remain a committee member. I have attended many of the recent annual World Congresses, including the one in Adelaide, July 1997, where I gave talks in Esperanto on Australian English, Australian aboriginal languages, and HTML.
I'm a vice-president of the London Esperanto Club and attend more or less regularly.
- Welsh. I try and keep up my Welsh. Here's a link to a useful electronic magazine for learners in London, Tafod Tafwys.
- Home. I live in Wimbledon, southwest London, with my partner Gabriel (see photo). We used to have a second home in Montserrat in the West Indies, the island where he grew up, though volcanic activity there means that our house, like his home village, has now been destroyed.
- Another photo of me (48kB)
- Movements. I have recently been away from home lecturing as follows:
- 2000 03 27-28 Dublin
- 2000 03 30- 04 01 Paris
- 2000 04 3-6 Glasgow (BAAP Colloquium)
- 2000 04 14-22 China (Nanjing) (photos)
- 2000 06 19-26 Tokyo, Kyoto
- 2000 09 21-24 Ljubljana, Slovenia
If you have it installed, you'll be viewing this page in the Comic Sans font. If not, download it free of charge from Microsoft Typography.
Professional interests; my short c.v.
Last modified 2000 August 01