Re: RT list: Comprehension and decoding

From: ChristophU@t-online.de
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 10:12:05 GMT

    Mike,

    I think that experiments of the sort you suggest would merely show that
    sometimes the comprehension phase as whole may take longer if the
    stimulus is more difficult to grasp. It doesn't say anything about the
    speed of the coding phase. On the contrary, I would expect that
    misapplied code would have no effect on the speed of the coding phase;
    rather, it's output would contain a lot of gaps which are then to be
    filled by the inferential phase and this one may then take longer.

    Also, I think one needs to be careful about the examples from spelling:
    it seems that children learning difficult orthographies like the English
    one primarily along the whole-word method; this may be one reason why
    people may recognise words simply by their first and last letter. That
    is, the graphological coding is per whole word. I wonder if the same
    results will obtain in languages like Estonian (and maybe Turkish) where
    the spelling is much more phonological and the learning method tends
    more to a letter-based approach.

    Best,
    Christoph

    Christoph Unger