RT list: RT and sociocultural context

From: Andre Sytnyk (andre.sytnyk@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 08:23:25 GMT

    I think in RT sociocultural context is a certain subset of assumptions
    existing in the cognitive environments of interlocutors. Just like any other
    type of "context" it is retrieved for the online "making sense" of an
    utterance (searching for relevance).

    My PhD supervisor, Louis de Saussure, gave me an example of a case where
    even strongly required presuppositional information is not retrieved by the
    hearer because of some contextual constraint, for example pressure or
    stress:

    Do you feel bad about New-Year's eve taking place this year on a Friday the
    13th?

    which is nonsensical but in fact in a situation of stress, one easily falls
    in the trap and answers the question without retrieving the presupposition.

    However, in my own sociocultural context (cognitive environment) this
    utterance is not nonsensical – I can easily *construct* a context in which
    it makes sense (achieves positive cognitive effects without any extra
    processing effort) as in Ukraine and Russia people also celebrate (an
    oxymoronic) Old New Year on January 13th and this year it was on Friday too…

    I think that from the cognitive point of view, "sociocultural" context is
    not some specific breed of representations, different from other sets of
    internalized mental representations. What makes this set distinct is that it
    is shared by members of the same socio-cultural group (which I believe in
    the socio-cultural research paradigms is referred to as "Bourdieu's
    habitus").

    All the best,

    Andre Sytnyk

    University of Neuchatel

    P.S. can we really say "Elizabeth Black a former teacher of mine" in
    English? Isn't a teacher somebody who taught you something at some point and
    you on your part accepted "the teaching" as true or possibly true? Does
    referring to somebody as "a former teacher" mean that you have rejected the
    previously gained knowledge (just kidding)…