Re[6]: RT list: an ad hoc account of translation

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 20:49:42 GMT

    I apologize for both the "lakoff-map" and the "ICM" heresy on the RT
    list. Naturally, I meant to say "easily internalized, remembered and automatically evoked
    culture-specific (meta)representations" ;)

    Thus, a translation, which interpretively resembles the original in relevant
    respects would be the one in which the interpreter manages to produce a text, which bears
    interpretive resemblance with its source in terms of the construction
    of ad hoc concepts, which make use of easily internalized, remembered and automatically evoked
    culture-specific (meta)representations in the target linguistic culture.
    The presumption of relevance does not show us how it's done, however,
    stimulates addressees of the translation to do that the way they
    always do in non-secondary intra-lingual communicative situations.

    Cheers,
    Andre

    P.S.
    The "Snark Rule": repetition makes a statement "true"
    (R. Lakoff "The Language War 2000: 101)