RT list: phatic perlocution

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 09:11:17 GMT

    I believe that it is more convenient to think about phatic utterances
    in terms of the perlocutionary effect they produce (a la Fraser),
    rather than as the "establishment of politeness systems".

    For a truly unified account of phatic utterances we have to consider
    such cases as metanarrative in literary works as well as, like, you
    know - metacommunicative signals and parentheticals - all the
    rapport-establising devices. Here are some examples of phatic use of metanarrative:

    1. From Winnie-the-pooh :)
    "IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE READ another book about Christopher Robin,
    YOU MAY REMEMBER that he once had a swan (or the swan had Christopher Robin, I don't know which)
    and that he used to call this swan Pooh.

    2. From "The Hobbit":
    "The mother of our particular hobbit … WHAT IS A HOBBIT?
    I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of the Big People,
    as they call US"

    "I imagine you know the answer, of course, or can guess it as easy as winking, since you are sitting comfortably
    at home and have not the danger of being eaten to disturb your thinking. Bilbo sat and cleared his throat once or
    twice, but no answer came".

    Thus, I propose a new definition: phatic utterances are utterances, which produce a phatic perlocutionary effect
    (cf. Zegarac and Clark (1999)) A phatic perlocutionary effect is an
    effect which manages interpersonal relationships.

    Thus, the perlocutionary effect of all of my phatic postings to the RT
    list (they ARE phatic, as things I talk about are already manifest to all of you
    and don't yield any cognitive effects whatsoever :))), is not to
    establish politeness systems... (disclosure of real reasons through
    off-list mails only :))) Well, one of the reasons is that I hate to see that
    this wonderful opportunity of an international RT forum is idle most
    of the time and of late has been used exclusively as a "Conference
    Announcement List".

    Apologize for this lengthy message.
    Have a nice week-end, everybody!

    Cheers,