Re: RT list: co-presence and mutual manifestness

From: Jlsperanza@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 18:24:24 GMT

    I was re-reading Baptista's quotes from E. Goffman:

    >>[co-presence]: "persons must sense that they are close enough to be
    perceived in whatever they are doing, including their experiencing of others, and
    close enough to be perceived in this sensing of being perceived.” (Behavior in
    Public Places, 1963, p. 17). “When in each other’s presence individuals are
    admirably placed to share a joint focus of attention, perceive that they do so,
    and perceive this perceiving.” (The Interaction Order, 1983, p.3).
    >As far as I know, this is a kind of "mutual
    >manifestness" _avant la lettre_. Any thoughts?

    ---

    Mmm -- let's check again this with _la lettre_ (S&W 1986).The notion is
    introduced on p. 42 -- ch. i, section 8 ('cognitive environments and mutual
    manifestness') -- and, not to be pedantic, the _logical form_ of an ascription of
    'mutual manifestness' and an ascription of 'co-presence' seem to differ
    (although one could perhaps be defined in terms of the other?). Thus, while Goffman
    obviously ascribes 'co-present' to persons, S&W ascribe on the other hand
    'manifest' to _fact_:

      (I)
       "a fact is _manifest_ to an individual
       ... iff [s]he is capable ... of representing
       it mentally and accepting its
       representation as ... probably true."
       (S&W, 1986, p. 39)

    It is from the idea of a manifest fact that S&W arrive definitionally to
    'mutually manifestness' (p. 42). Although they don't offer it explicitly, the
    definition would naturally run, as per (I), adding merely the qualifier 'mutual':

       (II)
       "a fact is _mutually manifest_ to
       [utterer and addresse] iff [they] are
      capable of representing it mentally and
      accepting its representation as ...
      probably true."

    -- the phrase 'probably true' (in I and II) is intended to indicate that
    what's manifest (patent, ostensive) may not necessarily be what's _known_ -- just
    'believed' (although this is surely 'implicatural', since if x is true, x is
    _probably_ true).

    While S&W 1986 do not explicitly quote Schelling 1960 (The strategy of
    conflict, Harvard) they cite and criticise Schiffer (_Meaning_) and his reliance on
    'mutual knowledge', and, more to the point here, Lewis's _Convention_ (1969);
    the relevant footnote being no. 29 (on p. 284):

         "What, for instance, Lewis (1969:56) calls a
         _basis_ for common (i.e. mutual) knowledge
         is roughly equivalent to our mutual
         manifestness. ... See also Clark & Marshall
         ['Mutual Knowledge'] 1981."

    Finally, it is interesting to point out that while Grice's 'Meaning
    Revisited' was first published in N. V. Smith's _Mutual Knowledge_ (proceedings of
    symposium at USussex/Falmer -- see details in WOW) he definitely shows doubts
    (there and elsewhere) about the ultimate utility of the notion that gave title to
    the Academic-Press volume, e.g.:

      "[M]y general strategy was to look for
      the kind of regresses which Schiffer and
      others have claimed to detect concealed
      beneath the glossy surface...: ifninite
      and vicious regresses which they propose
      to cast out, substituting another regressive
      notion, such as _mutual knowledge_, instead;
      raising somewhat the question why their
      regresses are good regresses and mine
      are bad ones." (WOW, p. 299)

    Cheers,