RT list: similarity, ad-hoc concepts

From: Radu Daniliuc (radu.daniliuc@anu.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 10:42:34 GMT

    Hi all,

    Relevance Theory (RT) has made some attempts to incorporate a model of
    conceptual representation in Wilson & Sperber 2003. There, Barsalou's (1987,
    1992) "ad-hoc" concepts are discussed in the context of RT. (In the RT
    framework, Barsalou's ad-hoc categories are also discussed by Papafragou
    1995 in relation to metonymy).

    I came across an abstract of a paper by Wilson that might have been
    presented in 2003 that seems to discuss the very way ad-hoc concepts go
    hand-in-hand with RT. (Abstract available at:
    http://www.eurospp.org/2003/papers/Doc2003/WILSON.doc) . As I am in the late
    stages of a PhD working on a conceptual representation model for RT based on
    Gardenfors' "conceptual spaces" (Gardenfors 2000), I am very interested in
    this paper. Wilson & Sperber 2003 do not go in too much depth with respect
    to the full conceptual representation system behind the ad-hoc concepts.
    This is very interesting, especially since in Barsalou 1992 he was a fan of
    amodal systems, whereas later (Barsalou 1999) his interests and theory
    develops in the area of perceptual symbol systems. I hope that Wilson's
    paper will shed some light in this respect.

    So my first question is: does anyone know where can I come across Wilson's
    paper? And slightly related to that: is there any other effort to complement
    RT with a conceptual representation model?

    The second question is related to similarity. I know I found this somewhere,
    but I can't seem to find the location: how is similarity dealt with in RT?

    Thank you.