Re: a contribution about: Re: RT list: co-presence and mutual manifestness

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 00:22:22 GMT

    Hi William,

    From what you said, it seems to me that the resumptive elements in dialogue are part of the mutual cognitive environment, since the aspects you mentioned about the interpersonal relationship between communicator and addressee are mutually manifest to them - as must be the case since they are not strangers to each other.

    Rgrds,

    Luiz Carlos Baptista
    lucabaptista@sapo.pt
    lucabaptista@hotmail.com
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: William Mann
      To: mjmurphy ; Luiz Carlos Baptista ; relevance
      Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 5:02 PM
      Subject: a contribution about: Re: RT list: co-presence and mutual manifestness

      Dear all:

      It seems timely to remark on the ongoing discussion of mutual manifestness.

      For my own research purposes, I am making a distinction between the interaction between someone and a stranger -- someone that they have never interacted with before. For non-strangers, the language interpretation processes, the effective context, and to some extent the style of interaction, whether written or spoken, is affected by the prior interactions.

      To capture this, I am saying "Natural Dialogue is Resumptive." That is the title of an unpublished paper that is in the process of adjustment and submission to a journal.

      By Resumptive I mean that under certain often-fulfilled conditions, the interaction starts up with a recall of the interpersonal relationship that was present at the end of the most recent interaction. This relationship includes shared knowledge, the knowledge that shared knowledge is shared, attitudes, open issues, views of each other sufficient to support honorifics, titles, ... the list goes on. The point here is just that, after one gets co-presence and mutual manifestness right, there are other quite parallel matters that have been left on the researchers' table of things to describe.

      So, resumptiveness might be a useful idea in pursuing this discussion.

      Best wishes to all.

      Bill Mann