Non-reciprocal Communication in RT

From: Mai Zaki (maizaki@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 19:17:17 GMT

    Dear All,

    Reading Wilson's and Sperber's "Relevance: Communication and Cogntion"
    (1986) it seems that the book is intrinsically interested in two notions:
    reciprocal communication and spontaneous inference.
    Non-reciprocal communication in a situation where the speaker assumes
    authority (my area of interest) is only particularly mentioned (Ch. 1 p. 63)
    as being automatically mutually manifest. Then it is argued (Ch. 2 p. 75)
    that when a representation is stored in the mind by being embedded under an
    expression of attitude (which could be applied to utterances with modal
    verbs) it is often processed in a self-conscious, non-spontaneous way.

    So my question is: how do these two facts bear on a study of the modals in a
    corpus of non-reciprocal communication? Are the rules for non-spontaneous
    inference much different than those of spontaneous inference? Also, how is
    the process of utterance interpretation in a non-reciprocal communication
    different from the case in normal reciprocal communication from the
    viewpoint of relevance theory?

    Finally, I would like a hint as to the best reference to consult for looking
    up cognitive science terms, such as deduction, induction, etc. If anyone
    knows of an online source please let me know.

    I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

    Thanks to you all.

    Mai

    English Department, Faculty of Languages
    Ain Shams University, Egypt