new on the list

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista (lucabaptista@sapo.pt)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 11:39:39 GMT

    Hi all,

    My name is Luiz Carlos Baptista. I come from Portugal and have recently
    finished my PhD dissertation, in which I develop a relevance-theoretical
    approach to Erving Goffman's Frame Analysis (in his book "Frame Analysis",
    Goffman proceeds to a lengthy examination of the ways in which human beings
    "frame" each other's activities in order to make sense of them).
    Parts of my research have been summarized in an article, "Framing and
    Cognition", in the forthcoming book "Goffman's Legacy", to be published in
    the US (Rowman & Littlefield) by the end of August.

    My research interests are the following:

    Cognition:
    1. The formal constraints on human interaction.
    2. Metarepresentation.
    3. Abductive inference as a model of non-demonstrative reasoning.

    Pragmatics:
    1. Self-talk (cf. Goffman's essay on the topic in his book "Forms of Talk").
    2. Presuppositions.

    That's it. Best regards,

    "The best thing about being me is, there's so many 'mes'" (Agent Smith)

    Luiz Carlos Baptista
    lucabaptista@sapo.pt
    lucabaptista@hotmail.com