{VIRUS?} "Style" in the direct translation?

From: nancy (nancyspring@sina.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 08:44:33 GMT

    Warning: The UCL E-mail Virus Protection System has removed one or more attachments from this e-mail.
    Warning: Please read the explanation at the end of the message for more information.

     My another question: What is the "style" mean in Dr. Gutt's definition of direct translation?

      As Dr. Gutt claims the direct translation is to preserve the original meaning and style. His definition of style is "the way the writer or speaker expresses himself" (p. 123). While in chapter 6 of his book "Translation and Relevance: Cognition and Context", he illustrates the communicative clues arising from 8 phenomena. To me, these phenomena all seem to be those with special stylistic features. Moreover, he states that the notion of direct translation "seems very suitable for the preservation of stylistic features in that communcative clues reflect not only the information content of what was said, but also the way in which it was expressed and the special effects that such stylistic features would achieve"(p. 128) Here his expression of "the special effects" seems to be able to prove my above point. Is my understanding right?

      Under such circumstances, if we translate a very simple sentence like "I am a teacher" into another language literally since we can completely find its corresponding sentence in the target language, then this translation should be classified as "direct translation" for it has achieved the complete interpretive resemblance, or it should be classified as "indirect translation" for the original sentence itself has no "special stylistic feature" and thus can not be considered as "direct translation"according to my understanding?

    Thank you!

    Nancy
    MA student
    Chongqing University, Chongqing, PRC

    This is a message from the E-Mail Virus Protection System at UCL

    The original e-mail attachment "msg-2273-4745.html"
    was believed to be infected by a virus and has been replaced by this warning
    message.

    --
    UCL E-mail Virus Protection System

    Internal phone: 37779