Re: {VIRUS?} "Style" in the direct translation?

From: Christoph Unger (ChristophU@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 14:33:51 GMT

    Nancy,

    let me make too remarks in answer to your question:

    on 19.03.2003 9:44 Uhr, nancy at nancyspring@sina.com wrote:

    > Warning: The UCL E-mail Virus Protection System has removed one or more
    > attachments from this e-mail.
    > Warning: Please read the explanation at the end of the message for more
    > information.
    >
    > My another question: What is the "style" mean in Dr. Gutt's definition of
    > direct translation?
    >
    > As Dr. Gutt claims the direct translation is to preserve the original meaning
    > and style. His definition of style is "the way the writer or speaker expresses
    > himself" (p. 123). ...
    >
    > Under such circumstances, if we translate a very simple sentence like "I am a
    > teacher" into another language literally since we can completely find its
    > corresponding sentence in the target language, then this translation should be
    > classified as "direct translation" for it has achieved the complete
    > interpretive resemblance, or it should be classified as "indirect translation"
    > for the original sentence itself has no "special stylistic feature" and thus
    > can not be considered as "direct translation"according to my understanding?

    Whether a given translation is a case of direct or indirect translation (or
    indeed of interlingual descriptive use, i.e. 'covert transaltion') cannot be
    read off textual properties of the translation. The sole criterion is: what
    did the translator _intended_ his text to do? This follows from the
    inferential nature of verbal communication.

    Stylistic effects result from the way the speaker has formed his utterance
    to guide the hearer's inferential path. It is _not_ something attached to
    certain expressions but not to others. Of course, a simple sentence such as
    "I am a teacher" has 'style': it leads the addressee to follow a certain
    path in interpretation - just that in this case the addresse following a
    path of least effort has no reason to attribute anything else but a simple
    descriptive statement to the communicator.

    > Thank you!
    >
    > Nancy
    > MA student
    > Chongqing University, Chongqing, PRC