discourse initial 'and' & verse text

From: John Constable (jbc12@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 21:27:06 GMT

    It's curious that the instances of discourse initial 'and' chosen by
    J. L. Speranza and by Ronnie Sim should both be from verse text:

    At 4:16 pm +0300 15/3/03, Ronnie Sim wrote:
    >And there is a very well-known Christian hymn which starts off
    >"And can it be that I should gain ..... " It is Charles Wesley's --
    >read the rest for yourself. Inspite of what many diverse authorities
    >would say, initial and occurs!

    A discourse initial 'and' is a convenient solution to a well-known
    problem posed in English metrics, namely how to begin the first
    sentence of an iambic verse text, or the first line of a fresh
    section or paragraph, with an unstressed syllable. The normal
    solutions to this include, amongst others, the use of superfluous
    exclamations ('Oh'), the use of the structure /xx/ (where / = a
    stressed syllable, and x = an unstressed syllable), and sometimes a
    discourse initial 'And'. I haven't time to check this, but I would
    imagine this latter device was surprisingly common in verse drama.
    The use of articles is also possible, but, as anyone who has written
    verse will know, this look like clumsy beginner's device at the
    beginning of the poem, and can have an awkward disjunctive effect
    when used to begin a new verse paragraph. 'And' is very useful to the
    verse writer in a tight corner.

    In summary, my suggestion would be that in metrical texts a discourse
    initial 'and' is almost invariably of little pragmatic importance.
    It's as likely to be a metrical convenience as anything.

    Moreover, it seems to me that this principle should be extended as a
    general caveat applying to all attempts to use metrical texts as
    evidence in pragmatics. Metrical texts are certainly interesting from
    a pragmatic perspective, the reader's perspective, but they are so
    formally distorted as to be most misleading with regard to authorial
    communicative intent. Linguists and literary scholars who use
    metrical compositions as a source of linguistic examples should
    proceed only with extreme caution; these are significantly abnormal
    text forms.

    --
    John Constable

    College Lecturer in Literary Theory and English Magdalene College, Cambridge CB30AG UK

    email: jbc12@cam.ac.uk

    Home Phone: 01728 663390

    Research and publications information: http://mysite.freeserve.com/jbcpub/jbc.html

    I. A. Richards Web Resource: http://mysite.freeserve.com/jbcpub/richards/iar.html