Re: discourse initial 'and' & verse text

From: Ronnie Sim (ronnie_sim@sil.org)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 15:56:30 GMT

    discourse initial 'and' & verse textHaving thought about John's explanation in terms of English metrics, I would reject it, at least for the English hymn I quoted!

    1. There would be other ways of preserving the metrics--- 'O' is the most obvious in the context of a hymn; but even 'O' pushes the line towards an exclamatory reading.

    2. The melody associated with this hymn since the beginning strikingly gives the initial 'And...' a beat.

    3. Charles Wesley had a facility with words that would make an explanation like John's --- 'how to begin the first sentence of an iambic verse' no problem to him (Charles).

    4. Initial 'and' evokes a range of weaker implicatures. What these are was the original enquiry.

    John?

    Ronnie