ask for hel

From:   (cathy_shenzq@163.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 03:26:42 GMT

    Dear all,
    Iam a member of relevance list. Now I am busy with my dissertation proposal. I want to use relevance theory to explain 'unintended meaning'.
    And I have some questions to consult all of you:
    1.Why the hearer overinterprete or misinterprete the speaker's intended meaning?
    2.Can irrelevant phenomenon be included in unintended meaning?
    eg. A:How do you think of Mr. Brown?
        (B saw Mr. Brown was coming in this way)
        B:You have grown some lovly flowers.
        A:Hi, what's wrong with you? I think she is selfish.
    Can we say B's response is A's unintended meaning?
    3.Can hearer deliberately misinterprete the speaker's intended meaning, and correspond to the speaker's "unintended meaning"?
    4.Can we avoid the unintended meaning in utterance? And how?

    Can you give me some suggestions or recommand some references?

    Thank you in advance!

     Sincerely yours,

     Cathy (email: Cathy_shenzq@163.com)