Fwd: Re: Banter

From: Nicholas Allott (n.allott@ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:02:34 GMT

    From: William Mann <bill_mann@sil.org>
    To: J L Speranza <jls@netverk.com.ar>,
             relevance list <relevance@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
    Subject: Re: Banter
    Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:32:25 -0500

    What a fine array of readings for this word.

    After more than five decades of listening to American English, I note
    that
    my principal use of the word seems to be out of sight: casual, fairly
    purposeless talk, especially between two persons.

    Bill Mann

    (Technical note for the curious: this is coming from me, Nick, rather
    than directly from Bill because Bill's message to the list included the
    email he was replying to and the total length was too much for our
    remailer at UCL. I've stripped out the quoted message and left just what
    Bill wrote. Nicholas Allott, Relevance list administrator,
    n.allott@ucl.ac.uk)