LINGUISTIC COOPERATION AND EVOLUTION

From: Francisco Yus (F.YUS@mail.ono.es)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 20:44:06 GMT

    At this address (pdf format): http://www.lucs.lu.se/ftp/pub/LUCS_Studies/Lucs91.pdf

    (This article is not relevance-theoretic, but does suggest evolutionary and cognitive implications of human cooperation by means of symbolic codes. I thought some of the members of the list may be interested)
    Lund University Cognitive Studies 91 (2002)

    Cooperation and the Evolution of Symbolic Communication
    Peter Gärdenfors
    Peter.Gardenfors@lucs.lu.se
    Abstract: Humans are the only animals who can deliberately plan for future needs. Our ability to have a "theory of mind" is also a factor that facilitates advanced forms of cooperation and communication. The main thesis of this article is that symbolic communication evolved in order to make cooperation about future goals possible.
    A consequence of this position is that the meanings of symbolic expressions emerge from the cooperation between individuals. I will discuss how constraints on semantic representations evolve through processes of cooperative sharing of knowledge and plans. As a paradigmatic case, I describe pragmatic settings of referential communication and provide a model of how the roles of names, nouns and adjectives can be explained by a process of abstraction that is based on principles of cognitive economy.

    Cordially,

    Dr. Francisco Yus
    University of Alicante
    Department of English Studies