introduction

From: Ewa Nowik (enowik@wp.pl)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 10:01:08 GMT

    My name is Ewa Nowik and I am a Ph.D. student at the Institute
    of English Studies, Warsaw University, Poland. I am interested
    in one of the politeness strategies: banter (an offensive way of
    being polite). I want to see if the Theory of Relevance is
    capable of explaining the phenomenon. Since banter is often
    connected with irony, it would also be interesting to see if
    (and how) the treatment of banter will influence the account of
    irony offered by the relevance framework. I would appreciate all
    comments on the subject.

    Tytus na Dzikim Zachodzie < http://tytus.wp.pl/ >