Pragmatics of misunderstanding

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 18:43:02 GMT

    Attention and comprehension in noise.
    The relevance of misunderstaning.

    Bill McKellin writes: "I am [...] involved in a study of aural attention
    and the process of identifying, comprehending speech, and conducting
    conversations in noisy settings. Is there anyone applying relevance theory
    to issues of attention and comprehension in noise?"

    Don't know, but I was recently checking this site,
    http://www.kissthisguy.com/, which has what I find are some rather nice
    samples... -- some in the ps.

    JL

    ==
    Real lyrics: Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me...
    Misheard as: A grazing mace how sweet the hound that saved a wrench for me...
    Real lyrics: I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind, but now I see.
    Misheard as: I once was lost but now I'm found, hooray for puberty!

    Real lyrics (as delivered by Sam Cooke): Missed the Saturday dance,
    Could have gone but what for,
    I'm so sad dear without you,
    Don't get around much any more.
    Misheard as:
    Mr. Saturday Night,
    Coulda gone, but what's more
    I'm so fat dear. Without you
    Don't get around much any more.

    Real lyrics: For he's a jolly good fellow that nobody can deny
    Misheard as: For he's a jolly good fellow that nobody can divide
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: Can't remember the moment. But it
    makes perfect sense to me. Let's say the guy goes to a bar, and he's under
    21. He's going to get denied, no matter how jolly or good he is. But it's
    doubtful even the meanest bouncer would divide him - is someone going to,
    like, give him conflicting views on a sensitive issue? I still think it's
    easier to deny someone than to divide someone. Misheard by: Aaron Gold

    Real lyrics: For he's a jolly good fellow which nobody can deny
    But I misheard them as: For he's a jolly good fellow with snowberry candy dye

    Real lyrics: God save the Queen...
    Misheard as: God shave the Queen...
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: My teacher asked me in 5th grade
    about the lyrics of the British Hymn. Then the whole class started to
    laugh. Real embarrassing.
    Misheard by: Marc http://www.bammi.de

    Real lyrics: Hail Mary, blessed art thou amongst women...
    Misheard as: Blessed art thou a monk swimming...

    Real lyrics: Hark, the herald angels sing
    Misheard : Hark the Hair-Lipped Angels Sing
    Real lyrics: Peace on earth and mercy mild
    God and sinners reconciled
    Misheard as: Peace on earth and mercy mild
    Goddamn sinners reconciled
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: When my mom told me why the preacher
    was laughing so hard at my solo in the Christmas program. Age when I
    realized how wrong I had been: 7
    Misheard by: Will Richardson

    Real lyrics: Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
    Eating her curds and whey
    Misheard as: Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
    Eating her curtains away
    The embarrassing moment of revelation:
    On my first day in school, the teacher asked who wanted to recite something
    to the class and I proudly stood up and said my piece about Miss Muffet.
    None of my classmates had heard of preserving a tactful silence to spare
    the feelings of others. Age when I realized how wrong I had been: 4.
    Misheard by: Anna

    Real lyrics: My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.
    Misheard as: My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of the icing.

    Real lyrics were: Onward christian soldiers... Christ the royal master
    leads against the foe
    Misheard them as: Christ the royal master leans against the phone
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: Actually, I think I had to actually
    see the words written down before I believed that this wasn't how Jesus
    talked to his Daddy. I was probably 16 before I realized they were wrong.
    Age when I realized how wrong I had been: 16
    Misheard by: Christin Keck http://www.geocities.com/soho/studios/2088/. I
    think my version is better than the original: Yes

    Real lyrics: Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsely, sage, rosemary,
    and thyme.
    Misheard as: Parsely's angels, Mary and Tom
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: I was sitting around the living room
    with my wife and friends a couple of years ago when that song came on the
    stereo. I began singing what I thought were the words to the chorus, and
    everyone began laughing. They thought I was joking. Once they realized I
    was serious, they all began ribbing me at once about how ridiculous that was!
    Age when I realized how wrong I had been: 33. Misheard by: Dave Reed. I
    think my version is better than the original: Yes. I've convinced others
    that my version is the real one: No. I take interesting medication: Yes.
    Real lyrics: Are you going to Scarbarough Fair?
    Misheard as: Are you going to Harvard or Yale?
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: I was with friends singing along to
    a cover band we were watching. Everyone in my immediate area heard it. They
    wouldn't let me live it down the rest of the night. I wanted to die. I
    really thought that was the name and the thrust of the song. I didn't
    listen. I thought it was some sort of 60s anti Berkley rant. Age when I
    realized how wrong I had been: 25. Misheard by: A. B. I take interesting
    medication: Yes
    Real lyrics: Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
    Misheard as: Parsley's age grows merry in time
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: My mom told me she thought it was
    Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, but I corrected her...I was a kid, okay?
    Misheard by: Germaine. I think my version is better than the original: Yes.
    I've convinced others that my version is the real one: Yes. I take
    interesting medication: Yes
    Real lyrics: Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
    Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
    Misheard as: Are you going to stop the affair?
    People say it was Mary and Tom
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: I had heard it at a middle school
    concert and was shocked at its subject matter. I asked the choir director
    why he chose this song and after describing what I heard, he promptly burst
    out laughing. Age when I realized how wrong I had been: 13. Misheard by:
    Petey. I think my version is better than the original: Yes

    Real lyrics: Silent night, Round yon virgin mother and child
    Misheard as: Round John virgin's motherless child
    Age when I realized how wrong I had been: 10. Misheard by: Joe. I think my
    version is better than the original: Yes
    Real lyrics were: Sleep in heavenly peace, Sleep in heavenly peace.
    Misheard as: Sleep in heavenly peas, Sleep in heavenly peas
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: I was Christmas caroling with my
    pathfinder unit, a part of Girl Guides and we decided to sing Silent Night.
    I sang with everyone else but when we got to that part, I sang the wrong
    lyrics and everyone started to giggle. Soon no one was singing and everyone
    was laughing, including the people we were singing for. Age when I realized
    how wrong I had been: 14. Misheard by: Corinne Haigh. I think my version is
    better than the original: Yes

    Real lyrics were: Strangers in the night, exchanging glances
    Misheard as: Strangers in the night, exchanging glasses
    The embarrassing moment of revelation: it thought they were either at a
    cocktail party, or myopic!! Misheard by: Sweet. I think my version is
    better than the original: Yes. I've convinced others that my version is the
    real one: Yes

    ==
                            J L Speranza, Esq
    Country Town