Grice's Oxford and Relevance Theory

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 05:02:40 GMT

        In a previous post, I mentioned some links, as they concern relevance
    theory, between Ogden/Richards and the English Oxford philosopher HP Grice.
    I was glad to see that such links have been furthered by RE Dale in an essay
    presented to SR Schiffer, "disciple" of Grice at Oxford for a number of years.

         I won't offer comments on RE Dale's essay other than pointing out that
    his is an analysis of *XXth century* pragmatics. I would claim - as I have
    elsewhere - that Grice's "insights" can be traced back, in the
    English-speaking world, at least to the Oxford tradition inaugurated by
    William of Ockham, T Hobbes, J. Locke, W. Digby, J Harris, and as developed
    in the XIXth c. by JS Mill. But I was happy to see a revision of Lady
    Victoria Welby - who's seldom acknowledged in the history of the
    "discipline" (the connection between Gardiner and Grice Dale notes is
    explicitly mentioned in the work of J Lyons).

    JL
    The Grice Circle
    jls@netverk.com.ar
    *****************
    RE Dale writes:

    "What might Grice have had in mind when he suggested that his programme for
    an analysis of meaning was a matter of controversy? A good method for trying
    to answer this question would be to examine every place where
    intention-based theories are discussed, and to give special attention to all
    of those places where both intention-based theories and causal theories are
    discussed."

    "It would, needless to say, be hard to know that one had ever successfully
    looked at every such place. But I have done my best and the only places in
    the twentieth-century literature I have been able to identify in which
    intention-based theories are discussed before Grice's work are these".

        1. Victoria Welby's "Meaning"

        2. AH Gardiner's "Speech and Language"

        3. Ogden & Richards's "The Meaning of Meaning".

    "That's it. Perhaps I haven't looked enough, but I have looked pretty hard.
    And the only place I have been able to find both intention-based theories
    and causal theories discussed in the twentieth-century before Grice's
    "Meaning" is The Meaning of Meaning."

    "So, here is a hypothesis"

    "Grice read Ogden & Richard's "The Meaning of Meaning" and saw that its
    authors saw intention-based theories as "problematic" while themselves
    offering a "causal theory," and that is why he took his programme to be
    controversial."

    "This is not at all an implausible hypothesis, I think, since "The Meaning
    of Meaning" has been a widely read book from the time of its publication
    until today."

    "And if the hypothesis is correct, it gives all the more plausibility to the
    view that there is an identifiable tradition of intention-based thinking
    about meaning in the twentieth-century that begins with Welby, and runs
    through Gardiner to Grice. And if I am right about Gardiner's influence on
    Austin, then this tradition can be said to be responsible for an awful lot
    of what has been important in twentieth-century theorizing about meaning."

    "Of course, the idea of there being an intention-based tradition is by no
    means false if it turns out that Grice NEVER READ OR WAS INFLUENCED by The
    Meaning of Meaning. But the story that includes Grice as somehow influenced
    by Welby and Gardiner is a much more interesting one."

    "Why?"

    "If Grice did read "The Meaning of Meaning," all the more is there reason to
    give to Welby a place of importance in twentieth-century philosophy. For she
    must be identified as the originator in twentieth-century philosophy of the
    idea of seeing meaning as identifiable with a speaker's intention to affect
    an audience, the idea that Grice would make the cornerstone of his
    conception of meaning. And likewise, Gardiner should all the more be
    acknowledged as the important thinker he clearly was. Of course, in my view,
    both Welby and Gardiner should be much more recognized than they are whether
    or not Grice read "The Meaning of Meaning".

    "But if Grice plausibly read that work and WAS INFLUENCED IN WORKING ON
    INTENTION-BASED THEORIES IN PART BECAUSE OF IT, clearly Welby and Gardiner
    and Ogden & Richards deserve credit as originators of the sort of theory
    that Grice was later to make such ingenious and influential contributions to."

    "Grice gives reason to suspect that he took himself as engaging in a debate
    between causal theorists and intention-based theorists of meaning. But Grice
    didn't provide any clear suggestion about who the parties to this debate
    might have been. I identified Victoria Welby as the originator of
    intention-based theorizing in the twentieth-century. I noted a number of
    important aspects of her work including suspicion of a notion of what I
    called central meaning. Alan Gardiner, I suggested, synthesized important
    issues in Welby - whether he did so consciously or not - by developing
    further the speech/language distinction with a special emphasis on the
    non-linguistic intentions of speakers in speech. Gardiner developed a number
    of important themes which were widely influential later, though he was
    little noted, including something like the notion of the illocutionary force
    of an utterance and its relation to speaker's intentions, as well as the
    notion that a necessary condition for an act of speech - as he called it -
    is that the speaker should intend her or his audience to recognize her or
    his communicative intention in making the utterance made. This latter
    notion, I noted, is importantly related to Grice's analysis of the concept
    of speaker-meaning. I pointed out that Welby and Gardiner could be seen as
    taking part in a certain tradition in twentieth-century theorizing about
    meaning which I called the intention-based tradition. I then discussed a
    second tradition which I called the causal tradition. I noted the chief
    theorists in this tradition and I gave something of a gloss of it. I next
    returned to the question of where Grice might have come to learn of a debate
    between intention-based theorists and causal theorists. I suggest that it
    was through Ogden and Richards 1923 book The Meaning of Meaning which is the
    only place before Grice that I have been able to find a discussion of
    theories of both traditions."