(no subject)

From: Clarice Lamb (clamb@zaz.com.br)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 21:27:11 GMT

    My name is Clarice Lamb, I am a professor at the Catholic University in Porto Alegre in The south of Brazil.
    I am a co-author with Prof. Dr. David Nunan( director of the English Center at the University of Hong Hong) of a book for English teachers called The Self-directed Teacher ( CUP NY).
    I would like people to give me some feedback on the idea I am developing for my PhD dissertation. I´ve asked Dan Sperber, and he replied it is possible.

     I am currently working on my PhD thesis, Relevance Theory , working memory and the use of inferences in L2 reading.
    I am focusing exclusively on reading, on aspects of research and theory concerning learning and processing of language that seem to be relevant to the issue of working memory involvement. The aim is to use the RT linking working memory with the use of inferences in L2 reading.
    The main question is : can the RT serve as theoretical basis for how working memory relates to ways readers use inferences to facilitate L2 text comprehension?
     The approach to meaning is a crucial issue for the lingusitic theory, and it isn't reasonable to talk about meaning as a feature of human sensibility without considering its cognitive properties, about which neuroscience has studied a lot in these past decades.
    I believe this is the reason why theories of language keep presenting us with empirical resources for treating semantic issues..
    One type of attitude a researcher should have is to take these theories into consideration in the constructive perspective to make headway in some kind of knowledge. The TR is one of the most interesting attempts of treatment of meaning in communication, compatible with the development of lInguistics as a formal and cognitive science.

    Would you have any bibliography to indicate? Am I in the right track as to connect working memory and the RTas basis for studying what happens in the brain when sts capture inferences while reading?
    Are there any research, experiments with reading ?
    I thank you for your time.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
    Clarice Lamb