Re: RT list: In the Tradition of Kantotle

From: Cerulean Cat <ceruleancat@squidge.org>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 11:22:58 BST

> I'm glad D. M. Donovan noted the point! I just hope that someone may
> dissimplicate it for me, rather than explicate it!

I don't know to what extent this would help, but it might be of interest.
Editing style guides have clear instructions regarding coordinated
possession with 's. Joint possession is indicated by a single 's on the
final noun, while separate 's indicate separate possession. In some cases
this makes much more difference:
Peter and Paul's books vs.
Peter's and Paul's books

(The joint possession option is only available if both nouns can take 's,
so it is not available for conjunction with a pronoun, for instance).

D. Cohen