RT list: Conversational Minutię

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 04:29:48 BST

In a message dated 7/17/2009 8:17:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmdonvan@ix.netcom.com writes:
I'm not sure what J.L.'s point is.

----
Okay. So this is too good to miss. So who's  next!
Actually, this is an excellent link I forgot (or should have not
forgotten) to post:
-- and S. R. Chapman should love it -- as she  is so into literature!
Review: Success/The SĆ©ance @ Lyceum New  Connections Festival ...  Jun 15,
2009 ...
All the drama is in the  minutiƦ of conversation and bickering, the
entrances and exits, what's said and  what's left unsaid, ...
www.tvbomb.co.uk/index.php?option=com...task...
-- so you cannot say I took lightly her remark (meant to be 'classicist'
-- vis a vis social class and 'social hierarchy' of Oxford colleges that she
learned so well!) about the 'purity' of a Grice!
---
"the strength of  this book is in the  minutiae."
(Review of  Keith Moon, Minutiae).
And cfr.
Modernism: an anthology -   by Lawrence S. Rainey - 2005 - Literary
Criticism -
It is in the minutiƦ ā€” in  the minute organization of the words
and their relationships in a  composition that the seriousness and value of
a work of writing  ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0631204490... -
JSTOR: Writing the  English Republic: Poetry, Rhetoric and Politics ...
But much of the  critical pleasure is in the minutiƦ of textual engagement.
His reading of  Defensio Secunda neatly analyses Milton's careful
presentation of  ...
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0034...0.CO%3B2-V - Similar -
by TN  Corns
but again, we don't need to _just_ focus on the  'conversational':
Google Books Result  by Leslie J. Reagan - 1998 -  Law
It is in the minutiƦ of women's lives that we can discover
why women  had abortions and how they won sympathy from physicians who
belonged to a  profession ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0520216571...  -
---
But back to the minutiƦ of conversation. Why is it that I  find it charming
that Grice  proposes
what is particularised nonconventional conversational  implicated
what is  meant
other
what is disimplicated
what is  said (but not really 'said  said'
etc.
-- but I can't really swallow K. Bach (and I love him!) minutiƦ of  the
implIciture?
Imagine Grice coming back to life -- and witnessing on  "Paleo-Griceans
greet the Non-Griceans, Neo-Griceans and Post-Griceans" -- with  different
workshops on this and that and th'other (or yon, as Trudgill would  say).
I HOPE he won't say: MinutiƦ! -- for he's the one to blame -- for
polishing our sensibilities so!
Donovan: With all the thought-provoking,  substantively substantial stuff
and generous quotations, you had to fixate on  the 'monnaie courante'! :-)