RT list: Minutiæ

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 02:42:29 BST

In a message dated 7/17/2009 8:17:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmdonvan@ix.netcom.com writes:
I'm not sure what J.L.'s point is.

----
minutiæ.
When in doubt, my point is:  minutiæ.
But credit S. R. Chapman for bringing that to my consciousness  -- when she
quotes from that book that -- being the Strawsonian I am -- I loved:
Mundle:
"In the name of _ordinary_ language  Austin
demands standards of purity and precision of
speech which are extraordinarily rare
except  among men who got a first in Classics Greats"
--- cited by Chapman, p.  54.
(* And Strawson -- I'm reminded that what precipitated most about  that
book was Strawson's alleged 'ethno-' or 'linguo-' 'centrisms -- as  Mabbot
reminds us
in "Oxford Memories" got a _second_ in PPE -- so, to echo  Donovan, is Sir
Peter wrong?)
D. M. Donovan may care to provide the  exegesis. I was just trying to be
cute to D. Sperber. Doesn't he merit an "'s"?!  :)
----
The rationale behind Chapman's use may be to consider "S  & W" in toto, and
thus meriting only one 'genitive'? (In the Romance  languages -- and Greek
and Latin -- it may be  different
la theorie de la relevance de Sperber et  Wilson
-- you skip the problem!
"However, he  argues that  Sperber ['s? -- JLS] and Wilson's
account, far from  clarifying [for  him] this matter, in fact
loses the significance  of the link between  relevance
without specification of  direction."
--- but must say  -- and I have reviewed Chapman extensively elsewhere,
what amused bunches too  was the 'escatology'. It's rough 'kh' in Greek, and
I'm never sure if Grice  meant to be innovative, or there _are_ classical uses
of Grice's term which are  _not_ 'theological'.
(And, granted, -- to echo Alessandro C. -- Chapman does  quote Grice on
'excretion'!).
Mind, I'm not obsessed with errata -- I  just happened to unbury the
Chapman book and read my marginal notes to my second  reading! (She has "G. L.
Warnock", -- I note, but the whole list of observations  I have considered
elsewhere).
But yes, people who met me have observed  that I use the proper vocabulary
of a Great-War Tommy!
(Chapman was  fascinated, apparently, that Grice would speak with "RP" --
as she hears her  tape -- 'fascinated in double double scare scare quotes --
academia being what  it is! -- since that is pretty much the term from an
"English" professor. (I  never read Chapman's book on utterance and 'dialect'
or accent -- but it  fascinates me, the issue, and hope it deals extensively
with Scouse which I came  to love via Letter to Brezhnev -- Alexandra Pigg,
I mean --  not the blonde  one. And she can do _Yorkshire_ to a tee, as
anyone who's seen her delightful  'pub' lady in "A chorus of disapproval" can
testify -- she _is_ adorable). (What  fascinates me of Chapman's research is
that one may apparently _implicate_ --  i.e. manipulate -- things like that.
And mind -- I know the profile --  and if as a philosopher I chose Grice as
my mentor was mainly to provoke my  ultra-conservative Lit.Hum. types
around me -- and keeping accounts like Leech's  under my arm. Each 'discipline'
find their own heros, and mine has been a good  one -- (or is it 'each to his
own'?)
Mind: I detected a use of 'like'  (where he meant, I think 'such as') in
Grice WoW ii myself -- can't quote right  now. But it would be a 'loose'
thing, perfectly acceptable in a lecture.
So, no, no 'hateful' here -- nor third-grade type, I trust. (How are
others on this list at foreign languages?)
On a more parochial  (vicarious) level -- Hornsby loves 'vicarious' --
seeing that Grice was born and  bred in Harborne, wonder if his "Midlands"
accent -- (Chapman makes a point  about Corpus -- Grice's college -- being
"Midlands." -- would be detectable  sometime at Clifton or later). Could he have
_manipulated_ that?
When I  met Alan Sillitoe and he signed my copy of "Lonliness of distance
runner" he  wrote (vis a vis my query to him re a line in one of the stories
therein), "To  J. L. -- and _yes_ I can still speak the lingo!"  (He had
written in a  short story that he felt he could _not_ speak the 'dialect' of
Notts. anymore --  having left for good. I just loved that, and I loved the
man even  more!
(For the record, I have contributed extensively to the English  Centre for
the Study of Dialect, and count me on reading Trudgill, "The dialects  of
England" anyday to the latest novel by (Julia) Grice!)
Good night.
Cheers,
J L Speranza
Bordighera