Re: RT list: In the Tradition of Kantotle

From: <Jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 01:35:33 BST

In a message dated 7/17/2009 8:17:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmdonvan@ix.netcom.com writes:
I'm not sure what J.L.'s point is. But I did have third grade teachers who
sounded amazingly like him.

----
Excellent comment, D. M.!
No, I'm _not_ your  third-grade teacher!
When I wrote that, I was having in  mind:
(*) S. R. Chapman's background _is_ "English  Language". Her PhD
(Newcastle, I think)
and she holds the Chair of "English Language" at  Liverpool.
-- it _does_ amuse me, in an  excellent way, that one could _Teach_ English
 like
that!
(*) I did  not _mean_ to be pedantic, but to consider _logical_
possibilities.  When
I added the hateful (but well  meant, "-s -- JLS") (And it took me four
times  of
reading your post to realise you were  focusing on _that_! :)), I was,
again
metarepresentationally, having in  mind
Mike Harnish on logical form and conjunction reduction
--- consider  Chapman on Grice's collaborations [but I cannot find the cite
right now] and  Harnish's examples
which of course we can extend -- to (to be  relevant)
Sperber & Wilson,  "Relevance"
Wilson &  Sperber
--- To this, Harnish adds:
This is _implicatural_:
"Whitehead and Russell wrote _Principia_" (their example)
So whose  theory?
I'm glad D. M. Donovan noted the point! I just hope that someone  may
dissimplicate it for me, rather than explicate it!
Cheers,
J.  L. Speranza
The Swimming-Pool  Library
Bordighera -- where they speak better  English than the English! :)
-- sorry I deleted your -IZER at the end  because I failed to decode your
implicIture!
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823307x1201398715/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)