RT list: Cognitive effects and processing effort

From: Stefan Malmberg <stefan.malmberg@aland.net>
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 19:36:01 BST

Dear all

In a recent article (Implicature vs.Explicature: What's the difference?) (2006) Kent Bach writes :' The most obvious problem is of how to quantify and measure degrees of cognitive effects and
processing effort. The formulations I've seen of relevance-theoretic concepts and principles are too vague to be of much help in this regard'.

I too still find this a problem. Does anyone have any fresh insights into the matter?

Best wishes Stefan

Stefan Malmberg
Måsvägen 3A1
22100 Mariehamn