Re: RT list: any literature on sentenc/discourse topic or topic chain in relevance-theoretic account

From: Christoph Unger (christoph-kuelvi_unger@sil.org)
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 15:32:52 GMT

    Dear Wang,

    I have discussed discourse topics extensively within RT in my 2001 PhD thesis
    'On the cognitive role of genre: a relevance-theoretic
    perspective' (University of London). Please contact me offline if you need
    help with quick access to the relevant sections. The thesis (in revised form)
    will be published later this year by Palgrave Macmillan.

    Sperber & Wilson discuss sentence topic (among other, related notions) in
    chapter 4, section 5 of their book _Relevance_ (pp. 202-217).

    In Gundel & Fretheim's article 'Topic and focus' in the Handbook of Pragmatics
    (edited by L. Horn and G. Ward; Blackwell 2004) I found a reference to the
    following paper that assumes a relevance-theoretic framework:

    Gundel, Jeanette K. 1999: 'Topic, focus and the grammar pragmatics interface.'
    _Penn Working Papers in Linguistics_ 6:185-200.

    Best wishes,
    Christoph

    Am Montag, 13. Februar 2006 08:41 schrieben Sie:

    --
    Dr. Christoph Unger
    Alleestr. 7