Re: RT list: scope of negation and development: forwarded from Ira Noveck

From: Louis de Saussure (Louis.DeSaussure@lettres.unige.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 11:19:11 GMT

    Dear Ira , dear all,

    I was wondering whether your concern is specifically about the scope of
    negation over quantified expressions (all X are not Y -> not all X are Y
    or -> no X is Y), or if you were considering the scope of negation in a
    wider range of linguistic configurations. Looking at the preservation of
    the presuppositional existential quantification (once again!), there are
    good examples, I think, which illustrates the pragmatic accomodation of
    the scope of negation.

    For instance, if you take (1):

    (1) Paul's Ferrari isn't in the parking lot.

    This can just mean the propositional form:

    (1') Paul has a Ferrari and it is not located in the parking lot now

    or implicate:

    (1'') There is no Ferrari belonging to Paul.

    (1') preserves the existential presupposition and has a narrow scope on
    the predicate. (1') can very well be seen as a first case of pragmatic
    enrichment from a logical form which doesn't determinates negative scope.
    (1'') has a wide scope negation and defeats the existential presupposition.

    (1'') can in fact be analysed as follows:

    explicit premiss: there is no Ferrari belonging to Paul in the parking lot
    implicit premiss: if Paul had a Ferrari, it would be in the parking lot
    conclusion: Paul doesn't posess a Ferrari

    The difference between (1) and Russell's king of France is that it's
    quite easy to find a context where (1) could be used to communicate
    (1'') as an implicature.

    For instance, if Paul pretends to be rich and powerful, the speaker may
    want to mock him (you can see this as a case of irony proper, but I
    think it's not necessary). A higher-level implicature would then be
    something like "Paul is presumptuous / arrogant / pretending to be rich
    and powerful..." etc.

    I would say that the accomodation of the scope of negation is typically
    illustrated with this, since it is necessary that (1) is understood
    first as (1') , (1'') being derived optionaly on the basis of (1').

    This is just a type of possible analysis. Maybe it is erroneous. And
    it's just a data on the basis of which we cannot simply generalize.

    Anyway it is very possible to hold that there is no such think like a
    scope-specification at the semantic level (Robyn's position vs
    Burton-Roberts' position) and, when looking at pragmatic enrichment,
    some pragmatic enrichments do depend on other pragmatic enrichments. In
    some cases, just like this one, it really seems that the wide-scope
    interpretation is indeed a second-level enrichment.

    It is very tempting to assume that the "default" interpretation - the
    most natual one, the first tempted when the context does not constraints
    it strongly - is the narrow-scope one, since, very simply, not only you
    can anayse scope-widening as a pragmatic process, but in general, we do
    interpret negative utterance as having narrow-scope, and this looks
    pretty much like a prefered routine of negative utterance understanding.
    In short I would follow your line of investigation.

    My answers to your questions are:
    a) is likely to be true
    b) is likely to be true, but it should be added that, probably, the
    narrow scope is not itself part of the linguistic encoding (but
    semantics in general disagree with this). It's a first level of
    pragmatic enrichment at the explicature level.

    The remaining question is the whether in all cases of negative
    sentences, we do absolutely need to transit via a representation with
    narrow scope. There is no absolutely convincing argument for that
    generalization.

    I think it's Larry Horn who said that negation is the Rasputin of
    propositional calculus.

    All the best,

    Louis

    --