RT list: scope of negation and development: forwarded from Ira Noveck

From: Nicholas Allott (n.allott@ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 14:44:17 GMT

    Hello all,

    There are some interesting developmental data in the literature (from
    Musolino, Lidz and company) and which my lab has largely replicated
    showing that young children (4 year olds) are more likely to accept the
    narrow scope reading of negation in sentences such as:

    All the children are not in the pool.

    That is, children interpret this as "No children are in the pool."
    Adults,
    on the other hand, treat this with wide scope as "Not all the children
    are
    in the pool." Robyn Carston, who has been generous in talking this over
    with me, has argued that the linguistic code gives you an unspecified
    scope and it's up to pragmatics to fix its scope.

    Now, given the data, I'm ready to go further and argue that the narrow
    scope is the initial interpretation and that wide scope occurs through
    some form of pragmatic loosening. It makes sense to me in light of our
    other developmental data showing how children's initial semantic
    interpretations are prominent before pragmatic (narrowing) influences
    kick
    in. The only difference with the narrow-cum-wide scope adjustment is
    that
    in this case it is surface form that prompts the initial narrow scope
    reading. My questions for the list are as follows:

    Is there any reason not to suppose that a) only the narrow scope reading
    is the initial reading and that b)the wide scope reading is the result
    of
    a pragmatic, and not linguistic-encoding, process?

    Ira

    --
    Ira Noveck
    (Through July 2005)

    Otherwise: Institut des Sciences Cognitives CNRS 67 Blvd. Pinel 69675 Bron FRANCE

    Tel. (de la France): 04 37 91 12 68 Tel. (from abroad): + 33 4 37 91 12 68

    http://www.isc.cnrs.fr/nov/novmenu.htm http://www.isc.cnrs.fr/nov/novmenuen.htm