Re: RT list: how much processing effort to invest

From: Andre Sytnyk (danagro@kp.km.ua)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 14:42:58 GMT

    (1)"The Melvin Hall dormitory is on fire."
    (2)"The dean wishes to speak with you."

    A question:
    If it is mutually manifest to interlocutors that the utterer of
    (1)/(2) is lying, can we say that the only possible interpretation of
    either (1) or (2) will be that the addresser is being phatic (is not
    really informing the addressee about anything, but is resorting to
    contact/interpersonal relationship-maintenance)?

    And based on this, is it possible to make a generalization that phatic interpretations
    will inevitably arise if (pathological) dishonesty of the sender is mutually manifest
    to both interlocutors?

    Respect,
    Andre