RT list: how much processing effort to invest

From: Hanno T. Beck (banneker@progress.org)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 18:53:24 GMT

    Many thanks to Marina Terkourafi for her recent analysis. Here are some
    rejoinders:

    Where Marina writes:

    > > Both examples cited,
    > >
    > > (1) "The Melvin Hall dormitory is on fire."
    > > (2) "The dean wishes to speak with you."
    > >
    > > amount to requests for the addressee to do something (e.g. "Do
    > > something about putting the fire out" in case (1), "Go and see the
    > > dean" in case (2)).

    This is true, and her analysis follows up on that in some very interesting
    directions. It is not actually why I chose those examples. (Nice topic,
    though, exploring how likely the 'request reading' is in various
    circumstances, and how that correlates with stereotyped expressions, etc.)

    What I want to suggest, and failed to make clear, was based on the hearer's
    options, regardless of what the utterer might have intended.

    For any utterance, the hearer is going to spend some amount of processing
    effort. Now, many utterances will have this property: the more processing
    effort spent by the hearer, the more "results" the hearer obtains (in the
    form of new realizations, new cognitive connections, new interactions with
    existing assumptions, raised or lowered values placed on other ideas, etc.)

    Suppose we call the processing event itself P. At some point or points,
    either prior to P or during P, we know that the interpretation process is
    influenced by such things as the hearer's feelings about the utterer, the
    power with which the utterance was delivered, the outside circumstances in
    which the utterance was made, etc. I want to know, where and when and how
    do those influential factors interact with P? If relevance theory includes
    a notion of how P proceeds, then it should presumably also have a notion of
    where these other factors can impact upon P, as we know they must.

    If I think that the utterer is an idiot, and has just drunk a lot of
    alcohol, and only tentatively put forward an utterance, and I'm sleepy, then
    we know, do we not, that I am going to spend a lot less processing effort on
    the utterance than if the utterer were my leader, is giving expert testimony
    in front of an important committee, and is speaking with firm conviction,
    and I'm wide awake.

    To capture this intuition, we would want to say that these factors are taken
    into account by the hearer, either as a cognitive "preprocess" in deciding
    how much processing effort to invest, or during the processing itself, as
    some kind of filter or "colorer" of the results being obtaied as P proceeds.
    I wonder if there is evidence, or even theory, of how this operates, how
    these factors are taken into account.

    Hanno Beck