RT list: new subscriber & question.

From: Matthew Inglis (m.j.inglis@warwick.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 14:15:11 GMT

    Afternoon,

    just subscribed to your list, thought I better introduce myself. I'm
    doing a phd at the Mathematics Education Research Centre at the
    University of Warwick, where I'm looking at how mathematics undergrads
    come to understand and use logic in their work. I came across relevance
    theory through the Sperber, Cara & Girotto Selection Task paper, and am
    now wondering if it can be used to explain recent work that looks at
    how mathematicians interpret material & generalised conditionals in
    their thinking.

    As you can see, this isn't my field of expertise (not that I have one
    of course), so apologies if this question is really basic.

    I have also been looking at Tomasello's notion of "joint attention",
    which I understand to mean (roughly) that I interpret the meaning in
    your speech by asking myself what I would mean if I had said it. I was
    wondering if people felt that "joint attention" complemented relevance
    theory, was just another way of saying a fairly similar thing, or
    whether there were important differences that I haven't picked up on.

    Best wishes to all,

    Matthew.