RT list: direct quotations in Relevance Theory

From: Husain Qutbuddin (husain.qutbuddin@uscnet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 20:33:31 GMT

    Hello, I am a PhD student of Arabic Studies at the University of Wales, Lampeter. I am looking at intertextuality in Arabic Literature. I am trying to develop a procedure to determine the assumptions that a writer has regarding the meaning of direct quotes that he/she quotes in his/her writing. Naturally, the context in which the quote is put in will hint towards these assumptions. For this, I feel Relevance Theory can be of much help. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me a lead on how to proceed with this. I am specifically looking for any works in Relevance Theory that have dealt with direct quotations.

    Thanks in advance.

    Sincerely,
    Husain