RT list: Interpreting for Relevance: discourse and translation, Conference 2 - Second Circular

From: Papa (papa@acn.waw.pl)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 18:04:46 GMT

    Interpreting for Relevance: Discourse and Translation
    Conference 2

    SECOND CIRCULAR

    18-19 June 2004
    (arrival: 17 June, departure: 20 June)
    Kazimierz Dolny, Poland

    Organizers:
    Institute of English Studies
    University of Warsaw
    Nowy Swiat 4
    00-497 Warszawa, Poland
    tel. (+48) 22 625 28 62
    fax (+48) 22 625 29 31
    http://www.ang.uw.edu.pl/

    Contact and more information:
    e.mioduszewska@uw.edu.pl
    http://www.ifrc.republika.pl/

    President:
    Prof. Jerzy Rubach, University of Warsaw

    Organizers:
    Dr Malgorzata Grzegorzewska, University of Warsaw
    Dr Aniela Korzeniowska, University of Warsaw
    Dr Ewa Mioduszewska, University of Warsaw

    Help:
    Marta Kisielewska, University of Warsaw
    Pawel Mirecki, University of Warsaw
    Ewa Nowik, University of Warsaw

                                                               PLENARY SPEAKERS

                     Dan
    Sperber Regina Blass
                     Deirdre
    Wilson Elzbieta Tabakowska

    Call for Papers

    Interpreting for Relevance: discourse and translation (Conference 2) is a
    continuation of Interpreting for Relevance: discourse and translation
    (Conference 1) held in June 2002 (see: http://www.ifrc.dinoz.net/) . By
    interpreting we mean the human abilities to understand and produce verbal
    messages and to negotiate meanings in discourse. By interpreting for
    relevance we mean interpreting, following some principles guiding the
    interpretation. It is discussing such principles (especially those coming
    from the Theory of Relevance) that is the goal of the conference. The
    principles underlie various types of discourse. When we separate discourse
    and translation we do not wish to suggest that the two should be kept
    apart. The juxtaposition serves the purpose of highlighting two foci of our
    interest in communication phenomena.

    The leading themes are:
    1. The Theory of Relevance and its developments.
    2. Principles guiding discourse interpretation (including interpretation of
    literary texts).
    3. Principles guiding translators' choices.

    We welcome contributions focusing on principles that guide processes of
    interpretation in discourse and translation (especially those
    relevance-theory-oriented).

    Talks will be organized around major topics, depending on the contents of
    the submissions. The format is 20 minutes for presentation + 10 minutes
    question time. Proposals for workshops, panel discussions and other
    sessions are welcome. Plenaries will take from 45 minutes to 1,5 hour
    including discussion.

    Abstracts
    Abstracts, consisting of up to 700 words (together with examples and
    references) should be sent to e.mioduszewska@uw.edu.pl . In the plain text
    part of your e-mail, please supply the following information:
    - name, title
    - title of the paper
    - affiliation
    - e-mail address
    Deadline for receipt of abstracts: 31 March 2004
    Notification of acceptance: 19 April 2004
    Deadline for registration: 20 April 2004 (registration fee: 200 PLN,
    students: 150 PLN)

    Registration
    To register fill in the registration (from the Conference web page
    http://www.ifrc.republika.pl/ ) form and send/mail it to:

    Ewa Mioduszewska
    Institute of English Studies
    University of Warsaw
    Nowy îwiat 4
    00-497 Warszawa, Poland
    e-mail: e.mioduszewska@uw.edu.pl
    Registration fee to be paid at the registration desk on arrival. Any
    further announcements will be mailed to you directly.

    Accommodation
    Accommodation, board and conference sessions at:
    Dom Architekta
    Rynek 20
    24-120 Kazimierz Dolny, Poland
    tel./fax: (+48) 81 883 55 44
    email: sarp@dom-architekta.pl
    (www.kazimierz_.pl/sarp.html)
    The price includes accommodation and all meals; to be paid at the
    registration desk on arrival.
    Single room 200 PLN ($ 50)
    double room 120 PLN ($ 30) (per person)