Re: RT list: 'World' in RT

From: Jlsperanza@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 20:26:27 GMT

    In a message dated 2/17/2004 12:00:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
    artp0230@nus.edu.sg writes:
    Hi Everyone,
    'World' is defined as anything which can be represented in the mind,
    including existing mental representations. Does 'world' include fiction?
    Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Vivien

    ----

    I guess it does. But, mind, it's not a clear-cut dichotomy -- or so I read from today's _New York Times_:

    Nottingham Journal by Lizette Alvarez. 'When Robin Hood supped, was it on Yorkshire pudding?' ...

    Yorkshire locals contend, Robin Hood, a man no one is sure even existed, may have been born smack in the middle of the Wakefield bus depot. ...

    "I mean, you have Baker Street in London and Sherlock Holmes," said Bob White, who used to be director of the public relations and tourism office for the Nottingham City Council and is now chairman of the World Wide Robin Hood Society. "I mean, he never even lived there.'" "We've got something real," he added. "My goodness."

    Cheers,

    JL J L Speranza