Re: RT list: No deep structure?

From: mjmurphy (4mjmu@rogers.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 13:29:41 GMT

    It does not surprise me that Chomsky and crew might be said to "imposing" a
    theoretical structure that does not fit upon certain languages. However, my
    understanding is that it was the encounter with various Amerindian languages
    in the early 20th century that stirred up the the linguistic pot that led to
    the revision of then contemporary linguistic theories that eventually led to
    the Chomskyian revolution. Quite ironic, if my memory is correct, if
    another exotic far away language is challenging that revolution

    Cheers,

    M.J. Murphy

    The shapes of things are dumb.
    -L. Wittgenstein